Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Journeyman

Default Interior Light

Is there any need for an interior light eg for when one is baking bread and there is no fire to see by? I noticed one elaborate setup:

photo linked from MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore

but wonder if something simpler is out there?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Interior Light

It's simpler to have an external light (I use an old one that used to be used in our living room) that I bring out if I'm baking at night. The sun works well during the day. I don't need a light at night if I'm doing pizza as I keep a good flame going for that.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Master Builder

Plus these guys also make wood fired furnaces and at times you may want to see what the fire is going. Thus they use a quartz window. Sure it can be done but Maver has it right as you really need outide lighting to see what you are prepping and puttin ginto the oven. You could alos use a spot focal light off to the side the shine light into the oven at night.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hendo,

I guess it would be cool to have an interior light, but I've never really found the need for one, even baking in winter and at night. Like Maver, I sometimes use a cheapo flashlight (Home Cheapo again) if I'm baking a lot of rolls at once, say 50 or so, just to make sure the ones at the very back aren't getting too brown.

Instead, I installed three small potlite spots in the ceiling of the oven portico. One shines directly at the oven mouth, the other two light my loading areas. This seems to work fine. I'll post a pic in the Gallery.

I suspect installing an interior light with a quartz lens would be expensive, and I wouldn't want to be crawling into the oven on a regular basis to change bulbs. Already did that once to point the dome bricks. I'm a slender guy, but it's no fun.

Jim

Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-01-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Direction to Gallery
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Journeyman

Thank you all for your thoughts. Without knowing any better, I'd imagined that visibility without a fire to see by would be difficult, especially when one's own body is obscuring the only light source (sun). But on reflection, I realise I'll be standing back some from the oven opening, which should let some ambient light in. If not enough, then a flashlight should do the trick. I'll also allow for a directional spot light for any night time viewings.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Master Builder

Cool Re: Interior Light

I am also intrigued by the refractory casted light box in Hendo's link at the top of this thread.

I am planning on giving this a shot this spring.

I've been on line looking for sutiable glass and I think this will do:

Flat Borosilicate Glass, Borosilicate Circles/Squares

Glass specs based on this site - looks like the glass will hold till 500C - 930 degrees F - cutting it a little close

I'm planning on going with a 3/8 inch thick 5x5 square and setting it up so that I can replace the glass easily if/when I break it with the oven tools....

or maybe better yet a 3 inch circle of glass recessed about an inch or so into the brick - It would be hard to hit it with the tools then!

It looks like a 50 dollar experiement plus the cost of the refractory....

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christo; 02-09-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add more data for glass
Old 02-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I can't wait to see how these go. My experience is that you are in pretty good shape during the day and with a fire, but as you say, with retained heat cooking and your shadow, the extra light could be useful.

For evening cooking, particularly if you are not near good overhead lighting on a deck or patio, I bought a narrow flashlight that I can hold in my front hand along with my peels -- which shines into the oven as you work. I've had an over that was literally in a dark field, and that was the only way to do it.
James

Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Journeyman

How about a peel mounted heatproof l.e.d ?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Master Builder

Probably just need to tape a flashlight to the peel handle nick!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Journeyman

Tape? How am I supposed to get on the home shopping network using tape?