Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above

We get a lot of requests for a layout that includes a fireplace below and a pizza oven above. That is what Christo was looking for in his posting on the Introductions Forum.

What I am grappling with is how to vent the fireplace below without making the pizza oven above to small it isn't worth doing. So far, we have see examples of a nice big fireplace below, with a tiny oven above, or the nice oven in Japan, where the pizza oven looks great, but the grill and fireplace below doesn't appear to be vented -- other than out the front. That should work for charcoal, but not a fireplace or even wood coals. I think it would be too smoky and sooty.

http://fornobravo.com/forum/showthre...=2165#post2165

I met a family here in NorCal that has an up/down set up -- all handmade. They say it isn't perfect, but that it works.

My hope is that this group can come up with a method for venting the chimeny for the fireplace back at an angle, then up behind the pizza oven, and that we can come up with a footprint that is reasonable (not huge) and that the pizza oven on top ends up a nice, useful size.

I think that could be a nice project -- if it is possible to engineer it.

Comments and input on this are greatly appreciated. I have a simple CAD/drawing program, and can do mechanical drawings, if that would help.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Multi-use pizza oven

Thats funny, I've been toying with this idea for a couple of weeks. Although, I would like to figure out a way to put the fire that heats the pizza oven directly below the pizza oven floor to maximize cooking area. I don't know how well this would work but I've come up with some preliminary drawings. It would act as a smoker, grill, and pizza oven.

If anyone has any experience with firing a pizza oven from below please let me know. If you'd like me to post my design let me know.
    Jeremiah

Comment

Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above

I pulled two photos up and hopefully attached them. The blueprint file shows a cutaway of the fireplace/pizza oven. I'm not sure how hot the pizza oven gets, but it is fired from the fireplace/grill below.
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Christo,

Very helpful. As you might guess, I am a purist on the oven. I don't think you can really enjoy wood-fired cooking without a real fire-in-the-hole oven. There are so many heat balancing issues that you can control with the Italian design that I don't think you could get with the fire below oven. I'm also not sure how hot it would get.

But the plans are a good starting point. I think the goal is to put a good brick oven on top, with a functional fireplace below -- with emphasis on the pizza oven above.

I think the trick is to vent the fireplace behind the oven, while still having a good draw.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

This could be promising

I think what you're missing, James, is that you could build your fire in the oven, bake your pizza, then shove the fire down the flue into the fireplace to enjoy a fire after dinner, and bake desert in the oven.

Never underestimate the Japanese.

I would do it with two flues so your fireplace wouldn't be so deep (I love the shallow rumford design) and just have a rear ash dump to go down to the fireplace.

I don't think draw would be a problem if the flue were tall enough: conventional fireplaces have a pretty big smoke chamber above the firebox.

David
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Where would you put the flue for the fireplace, if you went with the two-flue design and a shallow Rumford fireplace?

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

flue placement

Good question, I have to do some cad work to think this out. My first thought is that if you used a corner oven entrance as paulages did, there would be an almost straight shot up from the fireplace up the flue. If you wanted to go for a symetrical design, it would be more convoluted.

David
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

That design looks very similar to THIS ONE, a brick BBQ pit: fire over there, cooking section over here.

I must admit the idea of a dual-purpose cooker is intriguing; but like most dual-purpose things, you would sacrifice too much of each in trying to address both. Or something.

Anyway, I think I'm going to build a pizza oven for pizza and a BBQ pit for BBQ.

Comment

dual function fireplace oven

I think I'll keep my options open. I like the idea of a shallow fireplace and sharing a chimney but it's going to be tough to do this and have the fireplace draw well. Last thing I want to do is smoke out all my guests!!!!

maybe I'll draw the smoke from the fire place on either side of the oven door and route the smoke through the chimney that way. Hmmmm or put the fireplace chimney right next to the oven chimney so it looks like one.......

IF it doesn't work, I'll still have a working oven. At the end of the day, I want pizza!!!!!

I hope to pay with my CAD this weekend and publish some views, soon.

Thanks for the ideas!

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

This seems to be an ago-old dilemna. Jack of all trades; master of none. If you make too many trade-offs, you don't have a great cooking oven in the end -- and you can't make great pizza. First things first (the pizza oven).

Can't wait to see the CAD drawings. It seems like it can be done.

As an aside, I had an email exchange with the builder of the oven in Japan, who graciously agreed to let us post his oven pictures on www.fornobravo.com.

http://fornobravo.com/pizza_oven_pho...ns/Thumb6.html

James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above

James,
                      I know this post is really old but I was wondering if there was any progress made on the dual fireplce pizza oven. I really appreciate the images that have been posted as part of this link because the website it references doesn't appear to give you access...

TIA
                      Pat

Comment

I just saw this post. I guess I'm not the first crazy person to want their cake and eat it too... or pizza, fireplace and smoker. I finished the pizza dome this weekend and am beginning on the chimney. We have had several great fires in "Fireplace mode". I can't wait to see if it will cook a pizza.

Comment

the dynamics of a white oven are quite different from a conventional pizza oven. The hearth will be hotter (for it is above the flame) and the dome will be cooler than when licked with flames so the cooking dynamics will be differnent and will almost certianly demand some experiementation relative to our normal ovens to find the right combo of time/temp/results....
                          Jay

Comment

Why can't you have a fireplace with a chimney and it's own flue and. Then a pizza oven on the side or behind with its own vent/chimney running parallel to the fireplace's with some sort of plate that could be slid in or out to either "connect" or "separate" the 2 chimneys?

It seems this way you could have;

1) a pizza oven with a fire in the dome

2) a slide out "door" in the back of the oven that could join it to the chimney of the fireplace and be used as an ash/coal dump and then possibly use the whole thing as a smoker using the oven as a smoking chamber

3) a fireplace that is capable of being completely separate.

I also want to add a small grilling tray below the pizza oven, but that doesn't complicate the other 2 functions.

Does anyone see any issues with this line of thinking? Obviously I don't know anything about ovens, but was hoping to get some good info from some of you guys. Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I have seen designs where a fireplace shares the upper portion of a chimney with a WFO. Since we built ours in the front yard on our patio, we were very restricted in size. The combination of fireplace pizza oven with the floor of the oven tilting to become the back of the fireplace works very well. The only difficulty is that when the floor is elevated for the fireplace, there is too much space open for the chimney to draw perfectly. I am cutting a stainless steel plate to be in place when in fireplace mode to reduce the volume and produce better draw.

We have used our WFO as a smoker for Thanksgiving turkey. Building a small fire in the fireplace with the floor down and the door in place worked amazingly well.

I like your idea about a grill. When the floor is up, there is a perfect shelf for a grill.

Hmmm. Pizza oven, fireplace, smoker, grill, baking bread... Everything but a microwave.

We had a wonderful winter with pizza parties ending with a blazing fire in the fireplace. As far as efficiency, two weeks ago, we cooked 60 pizzas for over 50 neighbors and baked a loaf of bread for breakfast

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X