Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

Yesterday I went to collect some prime Angus rib-eye steak from a friend and just around the corner from his place I saw a whole lot of super dry, cut into usable length logs of wood on the verge. I stopped outside the house and popped in to say hello to the owner and ask if I could grab some.

After a friendly reception and an offer to me to "take as much wood as I wanted", the chap said - "wait there's more" and showed me a large, very dry, dead tree in his yard and offered to cut it into 30cm lengths and stack it outside for me to collect. How good was that!!

Not wanting to have the guy go to any trouble I said that I would bring my chainsaw and remove it gradually for him - starting next weekend, which is a long one! He was very pleased and the deal was done!!

So, always be on the look out for free wood - there is lots around and much of it is seasoned and ready to cut, split and load into the oven. On that note, there was a certain amount of added pleasure this morning in having breakfast using some of yesterday's wood. Have been mainly getting green wood up until now, but will definitely now aim to get wood that is "ready to go" in future.....
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

It is amazing how much free wood is around. I have still not paid for any yet. Best wood is free wood. I find decent logs are better cut into 6" slices. They are so much easier to split.
I love getting wood.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wood collection - new national passtime??

Just did the first run to collect the first load of what is some of the best wood that I have come across. Dried to perfection and very easy to split. Did a quick test burn to get an idea of the heat, coal creation. This stuff burns quite hot and produces very little smoke. Will have enough for about 15-20 firings from that. Normally a fire costs me about $12 ... so there is quite a big saving in that!!

Some pics to see quality...
Attached Thumbnails
Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-cimg4786.jpg   Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-cimg4788.jpg   Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-cimg4790.jpg  

Last edited by heliman; 05-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Noice find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Journeyman

I use leftover scraps of kin-dried pine.. mostly because I create them... and it's free... and it burns clean. I use oak once it gets to temp and it's time for actually pizza cooking as the pine crackles a little too much.. but it still saves money!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Laborer

What is the final word about pine? I have read a lot of places that it creates too much tar or something. I can find plenty of free pine but the applewood I that is around here generally is kinda pricey. I understand that there is a lot of pizza purism that dictates that hardwoods are the only choice but is pine a viable option?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriggsARNP View Post
What is the final word about pine? I have read a lot of places that it creates too much tar or something. I can find plenty of free pine but the applewood I that is around here generally is kinda pricey. I understand that there is a lot of pizza purism that dictates that hardwoods are the only choice but is pine a viable option?
I have read that pine is definitely not suitable for smoking. I had a very dry piece given to me some while ago and I used it to dry out the oven after about 6 months of no use. It generated a lot of residue which coated the outside of my stainless steel flue. It took a lot of effort to remove it. Consequently, I won't use any of the conifers - pine being one of the most common here - along with cyprus.

Fortunately there is plenty of eucalyptus about so I can certainly ignore pine. If the supply of eucalyptus should dry up I would buy unprocessed wood - but wouldn't resort to using pine or any other commercially prepared woods. The "natural state" is the way I like to use it...
Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I get a lot of pinus radiata (Monterrey pine) from off the building sites as all the frames are pine.

Its only good for heat up as it spits way too much for using while cooking, unless you like charcoal on the pizza that is.

Good ol Aussie hardwood barely ever spits.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Apprentice

My father in law is getting a new fence this week so I am or will be the owner of his old fence. I'm not sure how long it is but I think it's about 80-100ft of hardwood.
It will take some time cutting it down to size and moving it but it'll be worth it.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is why you need a 6' deep oven so you can just chuck the palings in.