Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Laborer

Default Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

I am building a 900mm internal diameter dome using the pompeii oven plans located between Ipswich and Brisbane.

Can't believe it is almost two months since I started ...

I have just finished the base and am up to the insulation under the oven floor.

Decide to used 50mm Calcium Silicate under the floor fire bricks (with a small layer of vermiculite under the calcium silicate - really only to get my height right relative to the base blocks and fire brick floor.

I have to buy my fire bricks yet and work out details for landing and flue, but I have plenty of time.

Will post some more photos when I make more progress.

Great Forum... can't believe the amount of people that post and how much stuff there is to read !!

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely-pompeii-base1.jpg   Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely-pompeii-base2.jpg   Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely-pompeii-base3.jpg   Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely-pompeii-base4.jpg   Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely-pompeii-base5.jpg  

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Hi Mistertoy,

Are there brick arches on both sides of your stand? Where you have your arch some people place angle iron for reinforcement.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
Not sure what the calcium silicate is doing for you,
A 50mm calcium silicate board will stop the heat as good as 100mm of vermicrete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Dear Brett
Nice Job!! like your arches. You realise of course now there is no turning at this point don't you. Apart from the money and effort you have expended thus far.. it would cost an arm and leg to get a bobcat with rock breaker and truck to remove that stand so....welcome onboard!!! and never forget the wiff of woodsmoke the sizzle of the cheese melting....priceless

Regards
Cobblerdave
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi Mistertoy,

Are there brick arches on both sides of your stand?

Hi Laurentius

Yes there are brick arches at each end, so I can access both sides for when I store wood. Because I had not done arches before, I also practiced on the back arch before I did the front.

I actually made the arches from half brick - cut a full brick in half with a diamond saw. Behind the arch is a custom made steel angle to provide support for the suspended slab. In retrospect, it probably would have been easier and maybe just as strong if I had just made the arches out of a full brick.

Thanks
Brett
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Hi Brett,
I assume you are having about 50 to 60mm of Vermiculite and Cement under the 50mm of board, if that is the case it should work a treat.
Hi Doug

Thanks....
About 40mm vermiculite and cement under the 50mm of board. Based on the plans and some posts I have seen from James, you don't need the vermiculite layer. I decided to use calcium silicate board instead of ceramic board because the specs were almost the same and it was a little cheaper. I had one supplier say that they sell 40mm board for wood fired oven but I stuck with 50mm as that was what was recommended.

I can see what everyone means by how the vermiculite/cement mix works. I dry mixed the cement and vermiculite and mixed in a wheelbarrow, it was a bit hard to know when the water was right so I opted to stop adding water sooner than later.
I was fairly happy how level I was able to get the vermiculite layer with a screed, but some sections of the vermiculite are loose on the surface. I was going to use some fireclay to "set" the calcium silicate board to the vermiculite.

Thanks
Brett
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Dear Brett
to get a bobcat with rock breaker and truck to remove that stand
Hi Cobblerdave

You are spot on .... cant stop now! I had been thinking the stand would make a good bomb shelter

Thanks
Brett
Old 06-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Sorry Mate
I hate ta tell ya but a bomb shelter needs ...earth ramparts... a 3 month inderpendant water and food supply...triple air filtration.... You are truely stuck it this stage. The Missus an't going except it as a pot plant stand.. so there you are...enjoy the journey. You have done your research (double entrance on stand .. well done). So please post more ...even you problems you'll get a good lot of answers not right or wrong but one will suit your prob

Regards
Cobblerdave
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertoy View Post
Hi Laurentius

Yes there are brick arches at each end, so I can access both sides for when I store wood. Because I had not done arches before, I also practiced on the back arch before I did the front.

I actually made the arches from half brick - cut a full brick in half with a diamond saw. Behind the arch is a custom made steel angle to provide support for the suspended slab. In retrospect, it probably would have been easier and maybe just as strong if I had just made the arches out of a full brick.

Thanks
Brett
A very nice rendition of the plans for the stand, with a double entry underneath! Good clean work. Haven't seen anyone using blocks cut lengthwise for the top course before, it works very well in your design. Well done

I posted earlier about the thickness of your vermiculite and calcium aluminate board. Brickie told me about the board and I can see the thickness of your vermiculite when I took a second look, so I deleted my prior post.

You have a great start. 'Continue the march'

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Pompeii Oven started Slowly but Surely

Hi Bert
How goes the build?

Regards Dave