Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

Cool Oven Build in Adelaide

Finally got my act together to post some photos of my build so far.

Started in January 2012 after lots of thinking and planning (This forum has been great). The oven is located at the back of our house on a 5 metre bench I built. We live in the Adelaide Hills (flat ground - WHAT IS THAT!!) overlooking Second Creek (with view to Port Adelaide/Outer Harbour) at the rear and Cleland at the front. So a picturesque setting for the outside oven/BBQ area.

The base slab is tied into the retaining wall with plenty of steel and concrete. The base is besser blocks with reo rod filled cores. The reinforced slab and insulating layer are 100mm thick each.

I sourced fire brick 'seconds' from Littlehampton Brick and opted for firebricks in the dome. The hearth laid, I got to work on the first course. I made what i now know as an indespensible tool, from a pergola stirup, threaded rod, nuts and a caster wheel which allowed the arc and swing needed.

The first course laid, with the entrance opening in place, the next few courses went down easy using refractory mortar(sand.lime,cement & fireclay) and the dome took shape. I used brick from the original house constuction (15 yrs ago- who said you have to rush these things!!) to form the entrance arch. Many hours used trying to get my headspace right to tie arch, entrance and dome together. Not an easy task - wish I had my fathers engineering brain!!

I am now on the seventh course of bricks, slowing a bit now with the angle of the dome, and height (with the edge of retaining wall right there), the vent is being formed in preparation for the flue and I can almost taste the first pizza.

Will post more photos soon.

Cheers

Craig

Oven Build in Adelaide-b-slab-down.jpg

Oven Build in Adelaide-c-stand.jpg

Oven Build in Adelaide-f-base-finsished.jpg

Oven Build in Adelaide-g-first-course.jpg

Oven Build in Adelaide-h-arch.jpg
Old 06-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

Nice looking build! There are so many Aussies on this board, you'd think pizza was the national dish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Boomer,
I love the looks of a corner build. Looking forward to more pics.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Serf

Hi Craig

What is your 100mm insulating layer composed of?

Regards
Steve
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Apprentice

Hi Steve,

I just followed the Forno instructions. It is a mix of vermiculite and cement, dry mixed 1 to 6 (I think from memory) with water added to an oatmeal consistancy. Too wet and all the cement goes to the bottom. Not sure if I got mine perfect, though it is stable and solid. The external looks a bit like cocoa pops!! when settled and dried. But will render over anyway.

Cheers

Craig
Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Laborer

Great looking build, and great looking setting too!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Master Builder

Craig,
Sounds like a top spot.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Apprentice

I have now almost finished the 8th course. I started shaping to fit to reduce gap on this course, wish I had done this two courses earlier as the finish is so much better. The vent has taken shape over the arch, almost ready to insert flue and hat.
Not got far the last two weekends due to weather in the Hills. Too cold, too wet. Photos coming.

As the dome nears the end of brick laying, a question. I have been covering the outside of each course with mortar as I progress. This layer is fairly thin, maybe 10-15mm (1/2 inch). Should I make this mortar layer thicker before the blanket goes on?(I have a CSR Fibretex 650 Blanket to insulate the dome with.) The blanket will then be covered with vermiculite(perlite) insulating layer before the final render is applied.
How critical is this earlier mortar layer under the blanket?

Cheers

Craig
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

A few more progress photos.

Oven Build in Adelaide-dsc03901.jpg

Glad I'm not afraid of heights

Oven Build in Adelaide-dsc03902.jpg

A long ladder helps.

Oven Build in Adelaide-dsc03906.jpg

The oven takes shape.

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm getting so much from this forum. Might be a bit addictive though. Always looking forward to the next post to see what others have done.

Cheers

Craig
Old 07-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Apprentice

Well a month has past since last post, and nothing achieved. Adelaide has had an unusually cold/wet winter without let up. It has been consistantly 8 degrees or lower during the day at my house.

Attempted to start 9th course after last post, set the first two shaped bricks into place with the IT supporting them and I went and had lunch. An hour later the mortar still had not gone off. Chemical reaction too slow. Very frustrating when you can see the end in site.

Have decided I will need to look at a different support structure for each of the next courses to hold the bricks in place better given the angle the dome is now at. Perhaps Karangi's disk system, as I really want to get the dome completed by September.

All suggestions welcome

Cheers
Craig