Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Serf

Default My Precast build

Hi All

Special thanks to John the oven man for his help in getting started in the build

I decided to craft my own oven from the info from Forno Bravo and what i have learnt reading these forums here, thanks to all the good posts

I have the oven finished now i have been cooking pizza's roasts lasagna bread etc since august 2012! so six months of bliss!

OK onto the build

my first requirement was to be that it needs to be mobile if ever we move house i am taking this thing with me, and also if i want to go make pizza
at someone else's party i can!

so the first 4 pictures are the frame design the trolley has a removable top the angle iron frame lifts out of it to allow me to put the oven on a trailer etc

i hope the pictures attach
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-1.jpg   My Precast build-2.jpg   My Precast build-3.jpg   My Precast build-4.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Serf

Default Re: My Precast build

Now
i have cut and inserted the insulation board its about 30mm thick
and put some mortar around the edges between the angle frame to lock them in place

the supports underneath are @ 300 centres

however if i was to do this again i would also lay either cement sheet or thin galvanized sheet under the insulation board for added security
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-5-base-1.jpg   My Precast build-6-base-2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Master Builder

You should double your insulation.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Serf

oven floor layout is 1050 mm inside diameter
notice i have turn the floor tiles to be at 45 degree's layout so the tools don't catch on the floor bricks

The mold was stuffed full of any rubbish i could find to save on sand,
i must admit the design of my chimney works extremely well the face of the front, i can still put my hand on it is just warm even after 2 hours of operation
i have seen people saying that they get burnt eyebrows etc from the heat coming out of the front!

Back to the mold
The face imitation brick was derived from cutting some weatherboards and using the rounded strip nailed to some chipboard i laid this out as best and rough as i could to imitate brick

i cut some stainless chimney about 150 mm long then sniped all around and bent the tags to embed into the concrete as shown

Sorry all i got excited at this point and forgot to take some pictures of the cement mixing stainless steel needle adding etc or the the final mold finished
more to come still
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-7-ovenfloor-1.jpg   My Precast build-8-mold-1.jpg   My Precast build-9-mold-2.jpg   My Precast build-10-flue-1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
You should double your insulation.
Yes i agree and that was the original plan,the supplier only had enough in stock for 1 layer
however

while the floor tiles are glowing red hot the under side is only just warm hardly noticeable so I am not loosing any heat really
and that board is 30mm so inch and a quarter thick
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Serf

The sand mold was covered in wet news paper the cement layered on by troweling till the desired thickness was achieved i have varying thickness through out the oven to aid i hope in heat distribution,

then the mold pulled off the front and the sand emptied out with all the rubbish etc and a work light used to warm the oven after 2 days of resting to help dry the oven out, i had used a piece of plaster board to make a temporary door to help keep the heat in while using the light.
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-11-casting-1.jpg   My Precast build-12-drying-1.jpg   My Precast build-13-drying-2.jpg   My Precast build-14-drying-3-front.jpg   My Precast build-15-drying-4.jpg  

Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Serf

Ok the First FIRE

slow low fire as shown in picture for about 8 to 10 hours
then a bigger fire for another 10 Hours
till the oven was at operating temp

then i let it cool down and got it ready for some insulation only to be on top
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-16-first-fire-1.jpg   My Precast build-17-first-fire-2.jpg   My Precast build-18-a10-hour-fire-1.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Serf

Insulation added i will use the oven like this for 6 months to dry it out then add the extra insulation and render see later pictures
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-19-insulation-1.jpg   My Precast build-20-insulation-2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Serf

Some food from the oven the first pizza just a garlic and cheese

first roast
first loaf

and some pizza burning away inside the oven

Next how to rig the oven so it can be transported and render
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-21-first-pizza-before.jpg   My Precast build-22-first-pizza-during.jpg   My Precast build-23-first-pizza-after.jpg   My Precast build-24first-roast.jpg   My Precast build-25-bread-1.jpg  

My Precast build-26-more-pizza-during.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Serf

Now this oven needs to be mobile transporting it and keeping it tied down on a Ute or trailer is not going to be an easy task specially if you have a small accident this thing would go flying

so the design i come up with,
remove insulation
drill 4 holes through the steel frame and ceramic board close to the oven at = points for some all-thread rod

add chain to correct length to cross over at centre point and weld at that point
then weld off the nuts on the all-thread to stop them coming undone the underside nuts are then free to be tightened to a FIRM hold on the oven also notice how i have stripped some insulation down and tucked it under the chain links so they don't come into contact with the oven

The reason for using chain

it will have some give for expansion when the oven heats up and it will not transfer heat along the links very easily and the test confirmed i lost no heat down through the frame from the system at last firing

Little Bit more to come
Attached Thumbnails
My Precast build-27-chain-down-1.jpg