Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Serf

Default Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice

Hi All,

New to the forum, decided to post. Just finished building a new house and decided to install an outdoor BBQ/ kitchen area. I'll post my progress as I go, but for now I'm researching and collecting materials.

This is the second oven I'm making, the first was based off russell jervous book and a few other ideas.. So it was made with 'pressed reds' for dome and base with vermiculite cement insulation and render dome. It turned out well and has been utilized well, only problem was the insulation has cracked , but this doesn't affect the performance.

Anyway this time round I intend to rectify my errors and try to mitigate against the cracks. Watched all the vid's on YouTube, read the forums and have decided to spend a bit of extra $ and build with recommended materials, and hope for the best

So, this is what I'm planning, any suggestions or advise is welcome.

1100 internal dome, but this time have decided to use firebrick for base and dome. Two or three layers of Ceramic blanket and chicken wire then layer of vermiculite and cement, more chicken wire then two coats of render and wire finished off with waterproof sealant as the oven will be exposed to the elements.

I've posted another thread looking for suppliers and have now found what I'm looking for. So went to Morgan Thermal Ceramics at Beverly and found they have just about everything refractory. They got bricks for $4.40ea and also the 50mm floor tiles for about $15 each.their blankets they call superwool.

Not sure whether to use the bricks or the 50mm floor tile for the base?

They also sell the subfloor insulation, but they've got stuff called V1100 which is a vermiculite product (25mm thick) not the other FB? stuff others tend to recommend. Any suggestions?

The other thing is the mortar. I can get the 'poor mans mortar' or Thermal Ceramics also sell 20kg drum of 'Blackite mortar' for $60. I haven't heard of the stuff before but would be happy to use it if anyone knows anything about it and if it's suitable. This stuff comes wet, so no mixing just scoop it out and use it.

I want to keep the mortar to a minimum on this build.

For the waterproof layer, was thinking of using this stuff called 'emer-clad waterproof membrane, which I see another Pompeii builder used on YouTube

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob..
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice

Hi Rob,

Have a look at this link for a dome calculator, should minimise mortar.

http://http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/dome-spreadsheet-calculator-18131.html (Dome spreadsheet calculator)

I also posted some suppliers to your other post.

Cheers

Craig

Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 10-13-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: link correction
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robd View Post

1100 internal dome
Thats a big dome, are you building in a restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robd View Post
Not sure whether to use the bricks or the 50mm floor tile for the base?
I used the 50mm floor tiles on my current (second) oven and wouldnt use them again, next time Ill use a firebrick, the tiles crack with use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Serf

thanks for the tip. That's what i was afraid of. 50mm just seems a bit thin for the base, and I don't want to run the increased risk of damage to the floor.

Last oven I built had 1000 internal and is a good size, but when we're cooking for the entire family might as well be a restaurant, can be upwards of 20 people sometimes.

I just figure that by the time you've got a fire, and a pizza in there, that little bit extra room goes a long way.. Chuck in a roast on the side or whatever

Thanks for that link Craig, and yes I got your other post. Appreciate your help
Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Serf

Hi,

so, i've finally collected all the reqired materials and have managed to make a bit of progress since i first posted on here, the attachents show my progress to the hearth floor, its coming along nicely

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0437.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0434.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0428.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0426.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0417.jpg
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Serf

more of the base

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0416.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0415.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0414.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0411.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0408.jpg
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Serf

finally started the dome.

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0452.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0453.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0455.jpg

Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice-img_0456.jpg
Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rob, you can build that close to your property line? If so, that is awesome, I have to throw 5 ft away, unless it's a plant.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice

Rob,
go with the poor mans mortar as it is the best, cheapest, very easy to work and doesn't crack like some of those refractory mortars.
You are welcome to come and check my 40" Pompeii built in 07 and no cracks (except in the final render coating).
Why do you need to chicken wire between your vermiculite insulation layer and your final render layer?
I got all of my materials from Thermal Ceramics, Beverley and all works well. Only firebricks were from the old Adelaide abattoir boiler at $1 each

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Rob, you can build that close to your property line? If so, that is awesome, I have to throw 5 ft away, unless it's a plant.
If it is too late now.. Just a BBQ so not an issue

Tags
adelaide, firebrick, insulation, refractory, vermiculi