Old 02-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

Finally, we are ready to get going to finish our outdoor kitchen. The masonry and tile work inside the house is almost dome and spring is coming, so we are ready.

We are adding counters, shelves, a grill and an FB Calore fireplace to our existing oven. We're using concrete blocks for the kitchen counters, and a mix of stone and stucco (I think) to finish the enclosures.

I still haven't decided on gas vs. wood for the grill. One option is to raise the height of the fireplace to where you can do wood cooking, and add a gas grill for convenience.

Any ideas there?

I will take photos as we move forward. We're very excited here.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Time to finish the oven; add fireplace

I kind of like that idea of raising the fireplace to make a churrasco BBQ. You could have removable BBQ hardware when you just want to use it as a fireplace.

I'm still thinking of installing an infrared BBQ, or at least one with a portion of the BBQ dedicated to searing meats/veggies at high heat. It would be especially useful for those days when you don't have time to fire the oven.

Looking forward to pics.

BTW, I purchased a couple of the casserole dishes from the FB store. Do you recommend prewarming them in the entryway to the oven before giving them a thermal shock from hell at full temp?

Thanks
George

-
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Journeyman

Hi James...............a fireplace to grill on is a great idea. The first photograph is of the bar at my friends place that we use to barbeque in winter. The fireplace is used to cook all manner of meals (in conjunction with his WFO). The second photo I have put up to show an interesting arrangement for his barbeque outside the same building. It shares the chimney with the fireplace.

Attached Thumbnails
Time to finish the oven; add fireplace-levissi-han-037.jpg   Time to finish the oven; add fireplace-levissi-han-072.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Journeyman

Hello Inishta,

like the bar fireplace! Reminds me of the one at the Poisson d'Or at a small airport near Paris, where we grilled gigot a la ficelle on a revolving spit in the fireplace...

Great stuff - do you do that, too?

Cheers,

LMH
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Journeyman

Hi carioca, we don't have a rotisserie/spit set-up for the fireplace. We do leg of lamb in the WFO and this year I intend to try roasting a full lamb in mine.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Good input. Thanks. I am thinking of doing the arched brick opening into the fireplace. It will match the pizza oven that way.

I've started laying out sample designs using CMUs. That's the easiest way for me to work -- I like seeing this in the physical world. We've met builders and designers on this project who can "see" a complete design in their head, or in a layout program; not me.

James

Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

O master of the ovens, where are the pictures?

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Jim,
How is the weather is beautiful Xabia? It's sunny and should reach the 60's here, which isn't too bad for Feb. I always remember the winter sun on the Costa Blanca.

My pile of CMU's isn't worthy of a photo yet, but we'll get there some time this week.

Here is how far we've reach with the oven.

More to come!
James
Attached Thumbnails
Time to finish the oven; add fireplace-dsc03470.jpg  

Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, that looks close enough to cook something.

Well back home it's cold and piling up with snow....makes me shiver to think about it...sorry Ed! My daughter (teacher with the new twins) has already had a number of snow days.

It's an amazing contrast here, usually in the 60's with some sun most days. It's hot in the sun and cold without it. Particularly when you live in a concrete house. But with the flowers and almond trees in bloom, it makes you wonder why people live in the north snow country.

Jim

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice oven James. Looks like you knew what you were doing

Congrats on reaching the 2700 posts level. I think you get a T-shirt for that!

-