Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Master Builder

Default Hello from Western Washington

Hello all, I live with my wife and two dogs and a cat on a small island in Puget Sound. We are planning on building a small bread/pizza oven this summer. I'll post photos as my project progresses.

Other interests include sailing, gardening, home theatre (high Def), and letterpress printing.

Here's a photo I took of a wood fired oven that I was told was either built or rebuilt by Paul Gaugaun on the island of Hiva Oa in the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia. I took the photo in 1977 on my first voyage to the South Pacific (1977-80). By the time of my second voyage (1983) the oven was no longer used and the local bread was being made by a "modern" facility on the island. I have other photos of this oven should anyone wish to see them.
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Western Washington-gaugauns-oven-hiva-oa-marquesas-1977.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hello from Western Washington

Welcome!

We would love to see more pictures of that oven. Have you downloaded the free pdf plans yet from the forno bravo store link?

Drake
Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Master Builder

Hi Drake,
Yes, I have downloaded the plans they offer. I also have just finished reading Daniel Wing and Alan Scott's book "The Bread Builders, Hearth Loaves and Masonary Ovens" which is very encouraging.

The area where I live has several basalt quarrys and I am curious about using this "traprock" in constructing my oven. Alan Scott makes particular reference to using this material in oven construction. The oven on Hiva Oa was also built with basalt although it looks brick lined. Unfortunately back in 1977 I was using a 110 film sized camera and it was not until 1979 that I had the film delveloped. The tropical heat did not help in maintaining high quality images either. Here's a couple more of the young bakers mixing the dough and shaping the loaves etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Western Washington-village-bakers.jpg   Hello from Western Washington-head-baker-mixing-dough.jpg   Hello from Western Washington-shaping-loaves.jpg   Hello from Western Washington-proofing-loaves.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome Wiley! Great pics! I love the dough work pics. They sure put out a lot of bread, huh?

What Island are you on - Small Island - Mcneill? Just kidding - Bainbridge, Herron, Anderson, Fox, Marrowstone???

-
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Hello from Western Washington

gjbingham,
We live on Marrowstone, we bought land back in '89 and started building our own home. Land here was inexpensive then, now one cannot find one acre for twice the price we paid for five. We are in the rain shadow of the Olympics and so only get about 18-20 inches of rain each year :-)
I was in commercial fishing and my wife had her own small home business, we have both since retired...early :-)
Wiley
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Wiley, I too found this site after reading the Alan Scott book, paid for his plans too...but ended up building the pompeii. If you read enough here, you will probably do the same, unless you really need professional volumes of bread.

Welcome!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wiley,
Great to have you here. You'll add to the growing list of West Coast ovens.

My siblings and I have a dilapidated beach cabin on Marrowstone that faces Indian Island. I still have a house over at Keystone, on Whidbey. Too cold up there for my blood though.

-
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Master Builder

Thank you for the kind welcome.
This is a great group of interesting people, I was sort of concerned that it might be a clique of afficinados of one type/style/manufacture of oven and am pleasantly surprised that it has a wide selection of DIY creative thinkers who are willing to try different and perhaps slightly heretic ideas on oven construction.

Also good to hear you/your family has land on Island. If ever you get up this way please PM me first and we can get together :-)
Bests,
Wiley
Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Will do Wiley.

Post pics of your build. We love to watch!

-
Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Thank you for the kind welcome.
This is a great group of interesting people, I was sort of concerned that it might be a clique of afficinados of one type/style/manufacture of oven and am pleasantly surprised that it has a wide selection of DIY creative thinkers who are willing to try different and perhaps slightly heretic ideas on oven construction.
Bests,
Wiley
you don't have to be crazy....but it helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!