Old 09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Wear Gloves?

I remember reading a post just a few days ago about gloves, lost finger prints....etc. etc.

Well in my excitement today of starting the dome... I forgot the gloves.

Yikes ! Skin loss = a valuable lesson.

So if you play with the high heat mortar.

Lime,
Cement,
Sand,
Clay

Use gloves!!

Cuz these are my fingers today!

Gosh I feel like an idiot!
Attached Thumbnails
Wear Gloves?-100_2060.jpg   Wear Gloves?-100_2061.jpg   Wear Gloves?-100_2062.jpg   Wear Gloves?-100_2063.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wear Gloves?

Bah...no need for gloves, you've just established a good base for some nice calluses
Old 09-30-2007, 06:50 AM

I did a lot of work without gloves, because ordinary gloves are so cumbersome or flimsy, until I discovered these:

They fit tight, they are waterproof without being sweaty, The rubber is textured so you can pick up anything, they are washable, and I wouldn't touch anything corrosive without them again.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I did a lot of work without gloves, because ordinary gloves are so cumbersome or flimsy, until I discovered
They fit tight, they are waterproof without being sweaty, The rubber is textured so you can pick up anything, they are washable, and I wouldn't touch anything corrosive without them again.
I will have to find a pair of those!

Thanks

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Journeyman

The ATLAS are all I use for block and stone as well as general purpose. For brick I use these: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
they are a closer fit for handling brick and wear much better than surgical gloves, much, much better. The only draw back is that they do make your hands sweat but I can live with that trade off. I use them for brick because I can feel more than the Atlas. As a EXCELLENT general purpose glove the Atlas as they say theses days "are the $hit" or is it $hits? got t check with my teenager.
Actually I was at Wall Mart the other day and got a pair of "fishing gloves" in the fishing isle for a buck and some change that are actually a good substitute for the Atlas for light duty I was very impressed. I switched to the atlas several years ago because they will actually out last a pair of leather gloves and I have tried MOST of them from cheap to expensive.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Personally, I hate concrete burns. They are just the worst -- much slower to heal than a cut or blister. It's a real burn. Hurts like heck.

Dave, does that sound right? :-(
James

Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just raw and sore...

What an idiot I am!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey, I have definitely done this more than once. We're just passing along some experience here.
James

Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Owwwww!!!!!

Feel better soon...

~makes big note to buy Atlas gloves~

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Laborer

I wear the nitrile gloves underneath a pair of old leather work gloves.

A while back, someone mentioned rubbing the hands with vinegar after working with mortar. It helped quite a bit! Lately, I try to keep the mortar on the trowel and off of my hands, and that works too. (sometimes.)