Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Serf

Default UK problems

I know this going over old ground but I have to ask a few questions.
I've built my stand, the vermiculite layer is drying as we speak. I live in deepest darkest Cornwall and I'm having difficulty sourcing firebricks and fire clay. The only firebricks I can find are 25mm thick, is this too thin? Has anyone use London type regrade bricks for either oven floor or dome?
Are there any alternatives to fireclay/is it neccessary? As a first time builder I look daft enough in travis perkins/jewsons without asking for stuff that they've never heard of!
Again, I appreciate these questions have been asked before. I'm just asking in case there any other builders in Cornwall/Devon that found any decent suppliers/merchants.
Many thanks, james
Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: UK problems

"25mm thick,"

One inch is pretty thin. A typical fire brick is 2 1/2 inches. Another source of information that may be available locally to you are potters. They deal with materials and heat issues not too dissimilar to oven builders.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It sounds like you are talking about Kiln or furnace brick, ? different than fire brick... Have you considered casting your dome ? Is Reafractory cement available ? Or what other brick options do you have ? In austrailia they use a brick called pressed reds... Its a solid brick,,as nothing with holes in it should be used unless they are filled (I think) I am trying to offer some solutions and am far from an expert so if any one else here has some ideas please chime in.....
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

These guys are in the UK. I didn't have time for more than a quick hunt through my Bookmarks though.

Thermal Ceramics

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Journeyman

James,
There are lots of builders on this forum in the UK. I would ask a few of them where to get supplies. Things like firebrick are often rare to find, but after a while, you do find the suppliers, and even competing suppliers. Keep looking. No one thinks you look daft except you, and it wouldn't matter if they did. You are certain to find fireclay in a pottery supply house, or studio. The bricks are out there...

Lars.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Serf

James, I bought my materials from Midland Refractories who can supply you with fire bricks, fireclay, and insulation and were very good to deal with. If you order the materials all at once, the delivery costs are not unreasonable given the weight of the bricks. You will be able to buy fireclay locally through a good fireplace company though you might have to try a few to find a 'good' one.

Incidentally, the firebricks available in the UK are 3" thick rather than the 2.5" in the US.

Visit my Blog at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.