Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Laborer

Default Round Stand

I'm considering using a round stand because I have limited space. Has anyone out there thought of using a concrete drain pipe for this purpose? Seems like a 36 or 42 inch pipe would work perfectly. Assuming one could locate one the right length. I wonder how hard they are to cut???
Thought?
Comments?

Phil
Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Round Stand

I had considered this for a different project a while back, but it is expensive. A 48" diameterx4' section is over 400 bucks and very heavy.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Master Builder

You can form a round stand using standard cement blocks.
I plan on forming my round stand with cement blocks (either 6x8x16 or 8x8x16 blocks) but the stand will be about 6 feet in diameter.
I considered half blocks but the cores would be very difficult, if not impossible to fill if you stagger these blocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Laborer

So much for that idea.
Any suggestions on how to create a round stand? I have no experience building forms for concrete. How difficult do you think it would be to create one?

How 'bout this idea. Imbed a circle of schedule 40 pipes (say one ever 36 degrees, that would be 10 pipes) in the concrete pad and pour a round oven floor on top of them. Just thinking out loud.

Not a must but I think it would look cool.

Thanks
Phil
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The other way I considered was with sonotube, 1 48" diameter and one 42" diameter, but it was almost just as expensive. You could form it with cheap fence pickets and wire on the outside, but I could not figure out a good way secure the formwork on the inside short of cutting disks of plywood.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Laborer

This is an interesting round stand

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ucer-3033.html (Flying Saucer)

Rod
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Laborer

Thanks Fish

That is brilliant. I had noticed Neil's Avatar but had not figured out how to find the pics. (newbie) I'm still in the planning stage obviously. The peg board form seems to be the perfect way to go. And I like the ash drop hole. I was beginning to wonder if anyone here added one like Alan Scott recomends. I'm think I might enclose the stand. I could use the peg board form idea to brick against.

Thanks again
Phil
Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Build it out of bricks. A little craigslist work will find someone with a pallet or two of leftover bricks to get rid of. That way you won't have to finish your stand with ugly stucco.

A couple of courses in half width at the support slab layer will give you a lip to hold your support slab, then you can continue upward once your dome is built.

BTW, a forty-eight inch circle isn't going to yield much of a dome diameter. Remember, your dome has to be offset to allow room for your landing and vent area. The advantage of building a brick support is that you could elongate the circle into an oval, to give you more room to work.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Serf

Here is a 42" x 4' concrete pipe, left over from a construction job.
Attached Thumbnails
Round Stand-ctmpphprz7fdp.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"And I like the ash drop hole."

I like the ash drop I put in my flying saucer. It serves two purposes: cleaning out ashes and providing a 1 inch x width of door "heat break" between the hearth bricks and my polished concrete counter top.