Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Quikrete Masonry Waterproofer

I was perusing Quickrete's website and saw this:

Masonry Waterproofers | QUIKRETE® Coatings

I wonder if anyone had an opinion of it, especially in contrast to the surface bonding cement? Would/could it be used instead of SBC (over a more basic stucco?) or in combination with SBC (as yet another layer applied over the SBC)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Quikrete Masonry Waterproofer

Keith - Looks like you just went with SBC over your insulation without using the water proofing?

Also, where did you end up getting your SBC? I've looked around my local HD and Lowes and have not found any. I think you mentioned getting your powdered color at Salmon Bay?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Master Builder

I plan on using SBC as my final stucco coat but without using the fortifier. Both our local Lowes and Orchard Supply Hardware carry SBC but in white only.
I'll use elastomeric coating, tinted to my color of choosing, as my final coat over the SBC. I'm not sure if this is similar to Quikrete's waterproof coating. Behr elastomeric coating is available at Home Depot.

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfasz View Post
Keith - Looks like you just went with SBC over your insulation without using the water proofing?

Also, where did you end up getting your SBC? I've looked around my local HD and Lowes and have not found any. I think you mentioned getting your powdered color at Salmon Bay?

Thanks!
My SBC doesn't go directly over the insulation. The structure is obviously poured vermicrete (over a three inch layer of InsWool over the brick). The poured vermicrete is walled up within vertical hardibacker and the horizontal surfaces (planter beds) are parged with a Portland/fireclay slurry (fireclay not for thermal properties but just as a very very fine "aggregate", and maybe some sand too, I don't remember). Then, over all of that I did three layers of SBC with acrylic fortifier, the second and third coats being colored with iron oxide powder.

So, in short, the SBC is never touched the insulation, either the InsWool or the vermicrete.

But no, I never bothered with any additional waterproofing or sealant. I believe three layers of acrylic SBC will be extremely waterproof. It might be insufficient for submersion (a swimming pool) but for a non-submersed surface I expect it to be fine. My planter beds have plastic under them so while I'm sure moisture will seep under them to some extent they won't simply soak up the damp dirt nonstop.

Furthermore, so far I haven't seen so much as a thumb print of a watermark inside the oven (and it has been pretty wet recently). It's bone dry.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Last edited by kebwi; 07-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfasz View Post

Thanks!
Lowe's doesn't carry it, but ordered it for me upon request. Paid in advance, it arrived at the store within a week. Also ordered the gallon acrylic fortifier. They had the quarts in the store but the gallons were obviously cheaper.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the tip Keith - I was able to order it through my local Lowes as well. Just had to ask at the project desk. Talked with them on Saturday, they ordered it yesterday, and should be ready for pickup on Friday.

I was also able to order the Quikrete Stucco Base. Probably could have made my own instead, but it was only $6.50 per 80lb bag. The SBC was $15 per 50lb bag.