Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Serf

Default Pizza oven tools?

I am finishing the build of my g120 and need a peel, brush ECT. Actually I really don't know what I need, could someone please make a recommendation on the essential tools that I should purchase, and where I should purchase them from?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Pizza oven tools?

Since our host sells tools, I am going to steer you that direction. Look at the FB store online. I am in the same situation as you; not sure what i need. Many of the builder have made their own tools as well. I am going to try and build some and can always buy one if that doesn't work. I think the question for me is: what do i need? There are many places to get it, but sometimes the one you purchase may not fit your kitchen. Handle too long, peel to wide, etc. HTH. I am looking forward to responses here as well.
Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza oven tools?

The blue handled peel they sell here is the best I have ever used. You need:

Brush/scraper
Big Peel
Turning peel
Log poker (I use the same tool as a turning peel and a log poker, it is a commercial SS stirrer)

I also use an old aluminum peel for mass removal of ashes before I brush.
texman likes this.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Peasant

recommend strongly a wood peel for placing the pizza....versus metal. I've had MUCH less sticking of pizzas since I made the switch.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

And the slotted one (blue handle) is as much better again than wood over plain metal. It allows you to use plenty of bench flour, then with a slight shake it is all gone.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Apprentice

Aside from the peels, brushes, etc. a couple of things I find handy:

1. A long piece (~4 foot) of 1/2" or 3/4" copper pipe - used to blow the ashes off the oven floor (careful not to inhale the hot air!)

2. "weed dragon" - propane torch for starting fires....makes fire building sooo easy.

3. metal ash can

4. stackable proofing pans (plastic) - These are great when working with dough.

5. As far as peels go, (we have 6 wooden peels + 1 metal peel). Multiple peels allows good work-flow when having friends over. I dont bother with a turning peel-I just use a regular peel, pull the pizza out, spin it with my fingers.

6. I have two brushes, a "horizontal" (looks like a push-broom) and a "vertical" (looks like a giant tooth-brush). The vertical allows you to easily sweep the fire off to one side.

Everyone is different...this is what I use.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Pizza oven tools?

Gudday
One thing you really need regardless of what tools you get is something to keep them in. I'm forever leaning them next to the oven then knocking them over ! Hav'nt come up with non ugly solution yet....still thinking about it
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine live on the roof of the oven.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
One thing you really need regardless of what tools you get is something to keep them in. I'm forever leaning them next to the oven then knocking them over ! Hav'nt come up with non ugly solution yet....still thinking about it
Regards dave
I built this "gun rack" http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/les-build-4207-9.html (Les' Build) ( post #216) from over the counter aluminum channel. The clips to hold the tools are common as well. In the winter, I place them in a diamond plate truck box.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with TS above. I have this peel, purchased from FornoBravo:
The Ultimate Pizza Peel 14.6" :: Pizza Peels & Oven Tools :: Forno Bravo Store
It's pricey, but it's awesome. Well worth it. It is very long so I pulled the end cap out, sawed it to size and reinserted the cap. Perfect.

I also have one of these:
14" Cast Iron Tuscan Grill :: Pizza Peels & Oven Tools :: Forno Bravo Store
While it's not exactly a "tool", it'll grill the best steaks you've ever had.

Updated!