Old 06-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Serf

Default Oven Door.

Hi All,
Came up with this idea for an oven door.
As I couldn't easily fabricate steel plate, I decided to use what was available and easy to form.

I used a piece of hardwood for the outer layer, then placed a sheet of ceramic sheet, then a layer of 40mm square galvanised steel tube laid on top of each other, then another layer of ceramic board. All held together with coach bolts.

Looks okay....will let you know how it performs.
My only concern is how the ceramic board holds up to the wear and tear of being moved around etc.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ngle-view.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...side-view.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...oor-place.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Door.

I very much doubt it will work, the tubing will serve no purpose and the hardwood will scorch and or catch fire.
The coach bolts alone will transmit LOTS of heat out of the oven.

Back to the drawing board.

Edit.
DONT EVER PUT GAL in the oven unless you wish to die.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What concerns me is the ceramic board - what is that? If it's a tile - bad idea. It will break on your second bake at best. The galv product is not the best, but any vapors from it being heated would most likely go up the flue. You apparently put a fair of amount of time on this thing - I hope it works.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 06-10-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Serf

Hi All,

The Ceramic Board is a compressed ceramic product thats used for flame proofing and underlay in houses. It has a very high heat resistance.

Galvanised steel will only give off zinc fumes/vapour when heated to extreme temps. Issues during welding are common. The oven door will only be put in place when baking, so temp will be around 500f, which is not going to cause any zinc vapour as the zinc will not react at these temps.

Noted your point on the bolts and they may heat enough to blacken the wood on the inside, but at the bolt heads on the outside are completely sealed, there will be no chance that oxygen will be available to allow a fire to develop.

While researching the building of the door, I found several threads and info on people that used hardwood and only hardwood for there door. The door is usually soaked, but provided the hot coals are removed then the chance of fire is slim to nil.

But in the interests of safety, I'll thoroughly fire the door several times to ensure that is is safe!!!!

Will be the first to stand corrected and hold my hand up if I run into any problems.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwall36 View Post
Will be the first to stand corrected and hold my hand up if I run into any problems.
But if you die from gal poisoning how will we know.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Serf

Hi Brickie,

You are correct..... I'll edit my post accordingly!

"Will be the first to Fall Dead - corrected and hold my hand still at my side if I run into any problems!!!!"

Last edited by kkwall36; 06-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.