Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Laborer

Default Insulated door design...

Hi all, just thought I'd share some pics of the door I've finally got around to making!
I've been picking up some tips on here from those of you who have already created, and have come up with what I hope will be very effective, (will update this thread once tested).

The front face is 6mm steel plate (maybe overkill) while the inside face and 50mm sides are 3mm plate.

The insulation is 2 pieces of 25mm thick calcium silicate board sandwiched together with a little fire silicone just to hold it there while constructing.

What I've tried to do is minimise the heat transfer to the front. You can see there is a small gap around 5mm between the sides of the insulation which I'm hoping will stop most of the heat from reaching the front face. The only transfer should be a little via the glass rope, plus some through the stainless steel bolts & thermometer which run from front to back.
To finish off I've used fire rated silicone to stick some glass oven rope around the edge where the silicate board is. This is for 2 reasons, to block heat escaping the edges by creating a seal of sorts, plus to cover the silicate board entirely so there's no chance of any of this dust reaching the inside of the oven.

Check out the pics, let me know what you think if I've messed up anywhere (apart from my welding skills), & I'll let you know how it performs.

Cheers!

Russell.
Attached Thumbnails
Insulated door design...-dsc00988_resize.jpg   Insulated door design...-dsc00991_resize.jpg   Insulated door design...-dsc00995_resize.jpg   Insulated door design...-dsc00998_resize.jpg   Insulated door design...-dsc01000_resize.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Insulated door design...

Very cool, nicely done. I've been trying to figure out how to insulate my door and yours gave me some great ideas. I guess I need to learn how to weld...!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Apprentice

VERY nice job!.....quite similar to what I had envisioned for my door....although, I'll have someone else do the welding....
Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Insulated door design...

Very nice

How did you stick the glass rope?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
Very nice

How did you stick the glass rope?
G'day Lburou,

I just used a fire rated silicone, the same that's used on my old double oven homestead cooker we have in our kitchen. This stuff is rated for flame fires so I'm sure it should take the radiant heat after the coals have been removed.

Don't use too much either, as I've found with the kitchen oven after a couple of uses the rope will squash itself into place where it sits. Just a nice bead to hold it is all you need.

You should be able to find it at any good hardware.

Cheers,

Russell.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Serf

Very nice work!

That probe looks vulnerable to me though, I have a bad case of the clumbsies sometimes though.

Regards

Dave Ly
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lyons View Post
Very nice work!

That probe looks vulnerable to me though, I have a bad case of the clumbsies sometimes though.

Regards

Dave Ly
Hi Dave,

Yes I agree, I tried to think of another method but no luck. I'll just have to be careful. I have a table about 1m2 directly to the side of my oven which I use to place hot trays/pots etc. It's made from old railway sleepers and has gaps large enough to poke the probe into & sit the door flat if need be.
I think as long as I don't drop it I should be ok!

Cheers,

Russell.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Peasant

Hey Russell, very cool door. I only wish you posted this about 1 month ago. Mine is very similar to yours but my face is made out of hardwood floor boards. I used PVA glue on my insulation rope. Whish I had of thought of the fire rated silicon. Still holding together after a few firings though.

Mick
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyD View Post
Hey Russell, very cool door. I only wish you posted this about 1 month ago. Mine is very similar to yours but my face is made out of hardwood floor boards. I used PVA glue on my insulation rope. Whish I had of thought of the fire rated silicon. Still holding together after a few firings though.

Mick
Yes Mick, I wish I had made the door alot more than a month ago, but to be honest I've only recently decided to have a crack at some breads. I've been strictly pizza and roasts in iron pots etc...

My neighbor (who is very jealous of the oven & homebrew) likes to try breads but only inside, we're both very keen to have a go in my WFO.

The hardwood boards sound like a great idea. I'm a big fan of Australian woods!

Cheers,
Russell.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Russell

Re the probe don't have it fixed in position on the door.Mine"s loose so I just draw it out and pop it on the brick shelf at the front of the oven then remove the door and do whats got to be done. Just slide it back when the doors back on....been doing it for a good 6 mths...no probs no bent probe.
By the way neat door...wish I had the metal working skills

regards Dave