Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Peasant

Default Infrared Thermometer

Can anyone recommend a infrared thermometer?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Infrared Thermometer

I've had great success with the one which is periodically on sale for about $29 at Harbor Freight. Top of the line instruments (Fluke, etc.) are surely better, but the one from HB does the job just fine. I've heard that the one Forno Bravo sells can be set so you can sweep over an area and get the average (or is it the highest or lowest?) temp, which would be interesting, but the cheap one I have works very well and is more than adequate for pizza and bread.

Karl
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Laborer

This is what I use:

GM700 1.5" LCD Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer - Yellow + Black (1 x 9V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

No matter what thermometer you go with, make sure it goes to at least 1100 F so you can take readings of the dome.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use the HF one as well. Only goes to 950 or something, but I find that more than sufficient. I didn't feel like I needed to know how much the dome is over that temperature. Or at least I was not willing to pay any more for that info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I prefer not being limited by equipment and as a result went for a Pro version that has a temperature range: -50 - 1000C (-58 - 1832F). Great results with it and I use it all the time. More details here: Pro High Temperature Non-Contact Thermometer - Jaycar Electronics
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I use the HF one as well. Only goes to 950 or something, but I find that more than sufficient. I didn't feel like I needed to know how much the dome is over that temperature. Or at least I was not willing to pay any more for that info.
Ditto - that's what I use. The price was definitely right. I'm just concerned about the temp of the hearth as that is where I tend to cook things.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Since my oven isn't finished yet, my Harbor Freight cheapy works great at driving the cat nuts...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
And that might have been all that was available to you at the time. But now... my thermometer is $30 and goes to 1292F. $30 for 1292F vs $30 for 950F is a no brainer.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
........ my thermometer is $30 and goes to 1292F..........
Is that also from HF?
EDIT: Found it, just read earlier post.

Last edited by Gulf; 06-20-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: just read earlier post
Old 06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

HF unit was $25 a couple weeks ago and I was in the store picking up a blade, so I didn't bother shopping. Plus I can take it back if it fails, which given chinese tool quality is a distinct possibility.