Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Serf

Default I need serious gloves

I bought a cheap pair of welder's gloves from Harbor Freight to protect my hands from the intense heat of our cob oven. They didn't impress me -- I had to use regular kitchen hot pads plus the gloves to extract a small dutch oven.

Today one of the gloves actually caught fire and was ruined. I'd left it on top of the oven, which hasn't entirely cured. The final insulation layer of sawdust and clay was smoldering around a deep crack. I'd laid the glove over this crack, not realizing how hot it was getting.

Anyway... can anyone suggest a source of insulated fingered gloves that offer serious protection?

thanks,
Carl
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: I need serious gloves

Try a GOOD pair of welding gloves... I have a heavy leather pair with padded palms that can hold the hottest of steel when using my forge or welding...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Serf

CB,

What do you think of these?

Amazon.com: Memphis 4600 Blue Beast Premium Select Side Leather Welding Glove with Reinforced Palm, Wing Thumb, Full…

What bothers me about this particular glove is the low price -- I've paid more than this for good leather work gloves.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Laborer

I bought these from a professional chef's shop in Paris - I can't remember how much they were but they were pretty cheap and are superb! They are a bit bulky, but they're about 45cm long and come right up to my elbow - great for that pizza at the back of the oven! They are made by SCHNEIDER and have 450C stamped on them - the serial no. is 310025

I need serious gloves-gloves.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryPizza View Post
I bought these from a professional chef's shop in Paris - I can't remember how much they were but they were pretty cheap and are superb! They are a bit bulky, but they're about 45cm long and come right up to my elbow - great for that pizza at the back of the oven! They are made by SCHNEIDER and have 450C stamped on them - the serial no. is 310025

Attachment 20797
looks nice. high quality with low price?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Apprentice

i live in the bay area and there are several welding supply stores. They seem to have a good selection of heavy duty high temp gloves.

I'm using some gloves that came with the welder I purchased and they work great. They are good enough to arrange logs in a fire engulfed oven.

Last edited by michelevit; 08-16-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny361 View Post
looks nice. high quality with low price?
It does still exist!... it's very rare to find a bargain in France these days but I think it must have something to do with the amount of bakers in the country.

Here's a good place for catering gloves;

Oven Mitts (Page 3)

Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Journeyman

You might try a safety supply outfit. I have a pair of Kevlar gloves that are rated up to 1500 degrees F. They are a little more expensive than oven mitts but I still have the hair on my knuckles

I found some here

ironCLaD Heatworx™ Gloves - Lab Safety Supply
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Serf

I bought a pair of aluminized kevlar gloves from a welding supply shop. They are for handling molten glass, but I use them for BBQ, when I need to reach into my smoker, or when I will have my arm over the fire for an extended period of time. I can move a flaming piece of charcoal no worries. Don't let them get wet. y bad for leaving them in the bbq when it rained. They are expensive, but worth it.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Serf

Hi,
I'm looking for some very heat-resistant oven mitts that can handle hot cast iron, which I cook with often. Ideally I'd like long mitts to protect my arms, but not so large that a small-handed roommate can't use them. I've never been that satisfied with any oven mitts I've purchased in the past.

Cheers !