Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Journeyman

Default The Great Tile Experiment.

Hello all.

I thought I would post this here. I haven't visited in so long, I am sure none of you remember me, but, here goes anyway:

To the left and right of my oven, I poured some concrete counters. I have been wanting to make a nicer surface, and when I saw some marble tile on sale, I decided I would try it out -- as an experiment.

In my infinite non- wisdom, my counters do not drain much. Pretty level. Marble is not recommended for areas with hard winter, so... I almost decided NOT to try this.

Then, I thought, heck, for $40 worth of tile, and a little time, I would do a bit of an experiment. Will it fail? How badly will it fail? Will it be acceptable degree of effort to maintain it? So, today I grouted in the tile AROUND the marble tile, and we'll see.

Now, let's see if I can remember how to post a photo here.

Also, just so I can be as lazy as I like, I decided NOT to do any heroic efforts of covering, or sealing this tile. If it, somehow, manages to stay attached through a couple of winters, I will be satisfied that I can use this surface on other walls, etc.

Lars.
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Tile Experiment.-count1.jpg   The Great Tile Experiment.-count2.jpg   The Great Tile Experiment.-count3.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Serf

Default Re: The Great Tile Experiment.

Just my 2c...... Sealing the tiles and everything around might help. If water can't get behind or in the tile it can't freeze. Marble is a porus stone and sealing it will help keeping stains from spills out of it.

Last edited by Ilfornaio; 08-28-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Serf

Even though marble is not recommended. Your experiment looks nice. Did you ever tested it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Journeyman

Of course we remember you Lars, your the guy who cut all his bricks with a chisel. Very nice job. The marble will probably be fine.
Eric
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Master Builder

Looks very nice! I like your door too. Is it insulated, or just plain wood? Do you have some other pictures of it in another thread? I need to make something similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Serf

It does look nice. I like all the covered space you created on both sides. Instead of thinking it through, I left a single opening in front with no easy way to access the back. Way off subject, but has anyone found a good way to use the back, difficult to reach area with a single opening?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Journeyman

Hi all,
First of all, good point about stains, though, I really don't care that much. Unless I were to be totally vigilant, the leaves and dirt will stain it almost constantly. There is a nice natural pattern to the marble, so...

Secondly, Iconic. No. I have not tested it. I just laid it a couple days ago. I will let you know in a year or so what happened after the winter.

Eric. Eric. Thanks for remembering me, though, I have to say...California. You can do this sort of thing out there with your hip, free-and-easy, anything goes, no-freeze climate.

DBhanson, I made two doors. An inner door, just out of 2x6 dimension lumber with a galvanized sheet metal on the inside and wrapped around the edges. That being said, it works fine for baking, but it has caught fire and so there is a bit of a breach in one of the cracks.

Finally, Bruce. I am still wondering how to make use of the area below the oven. I had no choice, really, it backs into the hill. I like the storage areas to the left and right, but what I really want is a higher vertical area to hang utensils ( peel, brush, etc. ) I may make some hooks or shelves that make it easier to use this space horizontally.

I made the covered area to the right about the right depth for wood, and it works great. The left side, I made deeper. I want to make a door that will be vermin proof. ( bugs, mice, rabbits, frogs, spiders, snakes... lots of fun friends out in the countryside)

L.

ps. Yes, I cut all the tile by hand, but the marble I broke down and did cut 6 pieces to 12" x 10" because I really liked the look -- with an electric saw. You know, if this works, I may just get myself that wet saw. Marble tile. Very easy. Did I mention it was $1.79/sq. ft?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wanted to tile my concrete counter with 12" granite tiles (that I already bought) but had a similar concern that thin granite is not recommended outside.

What sort of weather-proof grout did you use? I believe any portland based grout is good, meaning anything you buy dry, not in a tub, that's what they told me at Home Depot (while at the same time telling me to not put conventional 1/2" 12" granite outside in the first place).

WFO Webpage:

Thread: