Old 09-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Fancy String Alignment System

I went the no frills route when I discovered I needed something to help keep my dome in the round while building. Here's my patent pending, low-tech, String Alignment System (SAS).

It's nothing more than an eye screw in a piece of wood at the exact center of the oven floor. The picture shows the eye screw in a dowel. I've since removed the dowel. Works better with the eye screw down low.

The string is mason's string (Home stores). Mason's string doesn't stretch (very important!)

Here are the fabulous things that you can do with a SAS:

1. Determine the angle for cutting your bricks (if you are using cut-to-fit bricks).

2. Use the string for assuring the oven walls stay round during construction. On your first brick, tie a knot in the string at exactly the point where the inner edge of the brick should sit. As you lay each brick in the course, pull the string snug and place it over the brick to check the position.

In this picture, I'm checking alignment of the first brick with my foam board profile and assuring the knot is in the right place.

Tie a new knot for each new course.

SAS is not sold in stores or anywhere else! Order now, and you'll get two, that's right, TWO SAS systems for the price of one. Your friends will be amazed, your family will be in awe, your oven will cook PIZZA... Not available for purchase in the continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, or anywhere else worldwide! Operators are not standing by, call NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fancy String Alignment System

what if i want three?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
what if i want three?
Yeah, yeah... There's always a heckler in every crowd!

Updated!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Mason's string doesn't stretch (very important!)[/I]
Oh yes it does and it is designed to do so.. this is so we can pull the line "gutiar string tight" for laying.

That however doesnt effect your application in this excellent idea

You can sell in on the FB informercial check out this post: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...html#post16190 ("Just like wood burning??)

Excellent work by the way..
Old 09-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Interesting... it's pretty tough stuff. Is it safe to say that for this application, it won't stretch to the point of mis-aligning bricks?

Thanks for the compliments. I'm learning - probably learning bad habits and poor craftsmanship, but I'm learning!

Updated!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

it may give a bit, especially if it was looooooooong

but such a short distance...

It will be fine.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With 12 you get egg rolls...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Journeyman

Is it safe to say that for this application, it won't stretch to the point of mis-aligning bricks?
> With out a doubt. It only stretches when pulled hard like when setting up a line to lay to or laying out a footing, forms, etc.
When laying block we use what is called a "chicken leg" or line holder, its a metal bracket that the line is wrapped around and then placed on the next lead course. The line is stretched to the other lead course and then we lay up the next course to this line. In order for it to be level it has to be stretched VERY tight and this is where the masons line shines. It stretches so tight there have been many serious injuries and even deaths from the chicken leg being bumped, coming off the block and flinging down the line of masons and hitting someone..this is why no laborers are allowed near the lead courses on most jobs.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm learning - probably learning bad habits and poor craftsmanship, but I'm learning
> Nonsense, it looks very nice, keep it up.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Master Builder

Some has been killled by the chicken leg?

Holy smokes!!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Master Builder

I can see it. The bracket does not really have chamfered edges. It is a piece of angle iron with some metal hooks to wrap the line. I have seen crane wire snap a lot of damage can be done by the wire. In this case the damage is done by the bracket rather than the line itself. The line would only poke out an eye.

Italians prefer piano wire but that is for another purpose altogether