Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Apprentice

Default Roof is on....almost done

I just had the saltillo tile roof installed this week on my oven. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. It does look like the roofs you would see throughout Italy. Next up is the stone or rock work on the walls and chimney. I am debating between a cultured stone or real stone veneer. Due to costs, probably will not be done until late this year or next spring.

The main thing is the oven is working very well and everyone we have over loves the pizzas. Thanks to everyone for their input and great advice. Definitely could not have done it without this great forum James has started and without Forno Bravo!!

Grazie James.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof is on....almost done-picture-028a.jpg   Roof is on....almost done-picture-033a.jpg  
Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Roof is on....almost done

Nice, nice.

I love the tiled roof. I had the same roof in Sicily. Every night in the summer, just at sun down/dusk, the bats would come pouring out of my attic, one at a time from between those tiles. I'd watch them emerge and fly off into the night. Very cool to see. As a renter, you don't really care. If I owned the place, I'd be trying to get them out of there.

-
Old 05-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No no, they don't hurt the house and they keep the insects down! I'd love to have bats in our roof, and actually considered building nests for them... but I bet they'd stay empty. Haven't had much luck attracting hedgehogs into the garden so far either...

Any bats in your oven roof yet?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 AM
Laborer

Frances; if you'd like i'll ship you our bats. Yes they do keep the bug population down but are quite a pain when they get inside the house. After living here for 14 years i've finally got it down to about 1 a year in the living areas. Although i can't say that about the attic. However if you are looking to keep them around the house for bug control do an internet search for bat houses.
Vincent
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
No no, they don't hurt the house and they keep the insects down! I'd love to have bats in our roof, and actually considered building nests for them... but I bet they'd stay empty. Haven't had much luck attracting hedgehogs into the garden so far either...

Any bats in your oven roof yet?
No bats yet and the way the roof was installed I do not think they will be able to make any nests. I have attached a photo of how I want my finished product to look like. Still debating between cultured or stone veneer. The only product I have found so far in the look I am wanting is a cultured stone. I really do like the overgrout technique though.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof is on....almost done-facade2.jpg