Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Master Builder

Default Michigan WFO

Greetings! I guess it's time for my own WFO thread.

For those that haven't followed my foundation/stand build, I should point out that this will not be one of those ovens that seem to pop up over night.

It's taking me a lot longer to get to where I am than I ever imagined. I have zero construction experience prior to this. The largest share of my delays, however, can be attributed to being the happy father of 3 small boys. Perhaps starting this project with a 2 month old at home wasn't' the best idea I've had.

For my build to date, feel free to see my foundation/stand thread
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/begins-3819.html (It begins!)

I started with a 48 inch deep (perhaps over-engineered) foundation to withstand Michigan winters.

My hearth stand is 'H' shaped, with an opening in front and back to allow for two smaller wood storage units.

The hearth is poured, the forms pulled, and I'm ready to build!

So far, I've found the concrete and block work to be very enjoyable. Somehow makes me feel closer to my Italian heritage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Michigan WFO

I have 115 fire brick that I picked up locally (cleaned them out). I wasn't terribly happy with the quality - a lot of chips and scratches. I didn't have many options, however. I even drove 90 miles to Detroit to look at a few places. No better.

Here is my floor laid out and cut. I haven't decided how to position the soldier course yet (different mock setups in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Michigan WFO-wfo_102.jpg   Michigan WFO-wfo_112.jpg  

Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Master Builder

I was struggling with the insulation board for quite a while. Finally threw in the towel and purchased the FB board, which should arrive this week. I considered the K PAC-15, which was much cheaper, but decided to support Forno Bravo in return for the great forum provided for us.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Apprentice

Mike that really looks great!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Master Builder

Glad to see your own thread Mike, keep the faith (fathering too)
...your oven will get there!

Good luck with it, Jim
Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Master Builder

The floor looks great. I like the multiple shades of color in the brick.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
being the happy father of 3 small boys.
Congratulations!

You're not alone, I built my oven with the "help" of three kids... although the younger two were lalready 4 when I started. At east a 2-month old isn't mobile yet .

Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike,

I really like your block stand layout. Having two openings with a dividing wall is really smart. I wish I did something like that.

Updated!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Congratulations!

At least a 2-month old isn't mobile yet .
True, not yet! I agree, sometimes a newborn is much easier than when they are toddlers. That's how I realized how long the project is taking me. He was 2 months old when I started. Now he's already 6 months old!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhansen View Post
The floor looks great. I like the multiple shades of color in the brick.
Thanks. Unfortunately, along with multiple shades, the bricks come in multiple widths also! They are tough to lay out perfectly even.