Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Serf

Default 42" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria

I'd like to say hi and a huge thank you to all of the contributors to this forum. I have been a long time lurker on the forum and have been planning my build for the last year now.

My name is Ian and I am a British ex-pat living in Bulgaria and am in the process of renovating some outbuilding on my property and I am building a brick oven and BBQ into an entertainment area.

I am a bit late in starting this thread as I already have the hearth and the first three courses of bricks in place.

My plan is to have a BBQ and brick oven sharing a common central chimney and to be able to easily cook on both at the same time. The brick oven is a bit of a tricky build as it is already under cover which helps with the rain over here at the moment but will mean that the upper courses of bricks will be - fun.

I am attaching a few pics showing the original building and where I am today. I'm hoping to have the dome finished by the end of next week but with so much work still to do elsewhere no doubt that might slip.

My biggest problem so far has been the obvious language one. I am taking Bulgarian lessons but that doesn't cover technical Bulgarian and so obtaining the right materials especially the correct mortar has been a challenge but so far everything seems to be going to plan.

I will post regular updates and hopefully someone might find it of interest as I have found the rest of the threads here a great help.
Attached Thumbnails
41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-img_3175.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-img_3632.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-img_3675.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-img_3689.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-img_3712.jpg  

41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-img_3732.jpg  

Last edited by Studlyone; 05-20-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Serf

Default Re: 42" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria

Managed to get another two layers of bricks onto the dome, tomorrows task will be to work out the dreaded inner arch dome interface.

I am watering the bricks and mortar three times a day to keep everything from drying out too quickly. The daytime temperature is starting to climb over here already so I need to keep an eye on the state of the dome.

The build so far has been very enjoyable and a learning process.
Attached Thumbnails
41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-1.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-2.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-3.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-4.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria

Looking Great! I am curious why you put your storage area facing outside, when you oven is accessed from the inside.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
Looking Great! I am curious why you put your storage area facing outside, when you oven is accessed from the inside.
Thanks jeeppiper. A very astute observation, there are actually two arches for access to stored wood, one inside and one outside. The underside of the hearth is split in two by a supporting wall dividing the storage area in half.

Finished the inner arch today (what a pain in the bum getting it to tie in with the brick rings).

Attached are some pics showing the divider in the base structure together with the arch and another showing the inner storage arch under the WFO entrance.
Attached Thumbnails
41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-wed1.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-wed2.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-wed3.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-wed4.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Serf

Attached is a pic of the cleaned up inner surface of the arch ready for the sixth layer of bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-archbevel.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 AM
Journeyman

Studly:

Nice design idea (having two storage accesses). If I ever build another oven, that is one feature I would incorporate into my design. I have to get on my hands and knees and crawl into mine to get to the back.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Serf

Yes that's exactly what I wanted to prevent by having two accesses to the wood store underneath.

I have done two thirds of layer six today and the interface between arch and dome is looking fairly smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-interface.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 03:41 AM
Apprentice

Hi Ian,

So another fellow ex pat living in beautiful BG.
Thanks for your comment on my build and that you found it a good read and no doubt you have experienced the same problems with the language barrier.
However you seem to have overcome it and your build is looking great. wont be long before your enjoying the fruits of your labours.
Where did you manage to get your insulation from? Carry on the good work.
Regards
Paul
Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Serf

Yes its a beautiful country.

I got the Perlite from a local builders yard and they have medium duty firebricks and refractory cement as well.

The insulation blanket is something that they also stock, it has an aluminium backing and when I next go down I will be enquiring about the brand name so that I can do some checks online before buying it.

I'm about halfway through the dome and designing the flue interface now so its the fun parts of the dome to do now.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Serf

Finished off the sixth course of bricks finally locking the keystone in place, now its complete rings of bricks.

I will be ditching the indespensible tool in favour of a platform and sand fill for the top of the dome, it should speed thing up a bit.

The outer arch and flue interface is done and fitted and I feel that I am making progress now.
Attached Thumbnails
41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-arch1.jpg   41" brick oven and BBQ in Bulgaria-arch2.jpg  

Tags
42inch, bulgaria, wfo