Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLUTEN FREE Pizza Recipe

Hey guys,

I was told this had been requested a few times, and I run a vegetarian/vegan celiac disease community over at Vegiac.com

The dough recipe I'm going to show you here is from this particular link: Analese Robert's Pizza Crust - Vegiac.com

Let me preface this by saying a few things.
    • This recipe isn't mine, it's from a great gluten-free book called "Gluten-Free Baking Classics"
    • If you are making a gluten free pizza for a guest, cross contamination is a big deal so make sure you don't cook two pizzas at once and you probably should try to cook the GF pizza on a pan in the oven
    • I've never tried this recipe with a wood brick oven (yet) but I don't see why it shouldn't work

Ingredients:

* 1.5 cups "Brown Rice Flour Mix" (SEE BELOW FOR RECIPE FOR THIS MIX)
    * 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 2 teaspoons sugar
    * 1 packet quick-rise yeast granules (Rapid-rise brand works well)
    * 1 teaspoon olive oil
    * 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, heated to 110 degrees Fahrenheit

1. Spray pizza pan with baking spray and lightly sprinkle cornmeal over entire pan (this step is optional but I recommend it!)
    2. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl of electric mixer. Put the olive oil and warm water (warmed to 110F in a microwave) into the bowl and mix until just blended. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
    3. Spoon the dough onto the center of your prepared pan and use a cake spatula to smooth it out into a thin pizza shape (use warm water or oil on the spatula to prevent sticking, or simply spray your hands with oil and use your hands using the palm of your hand to push the dough down and flatten it out this way, this is how I do it, it's a lot more fast and effective in my opinion).
    4. Cover the pan with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes.
    5. Place rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425F while pizza is rising.
    6. Bake pizza in pan on rack of preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    7. Remove from oven and either put in a bag to keep in your freezer at this point or put your toppings on (make sure they're not too wet).
    8. Put the pizza (while still in the pan or move it to a pizza stone) and cook for another 10-16 minutes.

"Brown Rice Flour Mix":

* Brown rice flour x 2 cups
    * Potato starch (not flour) x 2/3 cup
    * Tapioca flour x 1/3 cup

Mix these all together to make 3 cups of "Brown Rice Flour Mix".

Hint: Use an extra finely ground brown rice flour--this is very important or the recipe won't work well.

Tips:

* In step 2 I recommend adding a little bit of powdered garlic and/or dried basil and seasonings. This will add flavor to the crust and make the dough a little bit drier and easier to spread out at step 3.
    * In step 4 I usually let the rising pizza dough sit in my oven which I have previously preheated and turned off to help get it warm inside. You want it to be about 80-90 degrees in your oven.
    * Use a pizza stone if you have one when you get to step 7 or
    * Use a ziplock bag or saran wrap to wrap your pre-cooked crust and freeze it. They freeze really well. I make small 9" pizza crusts all at once and freeze them to use later in the week where all I have to do is add toppings and bake it. It's great.

Here's how the one I just got finished eating turned out (I made a 12" and cut it in half and froze the other half):

I also even made a vegetarian, stuffed crust pizza with this recipe:

First Ever Stuffed-Crust GF Pizza... I think - Vegiac.com

This recipe is from this book by Analese Roberts, HIGHLY recommend, tons of other great recipes in it.

The pizza in the photo is **NOT** vegan, the recipe IS though!

Re: GLUTEN FREE Pizza Recipe

What is the texture of the base like when it's fresh out of the oven vs when it's cold? I've been working on a similar recipe but found that the potato starch goes quite hard when it cools down, although I haven't tried exactly the ratio that you posted.
    My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
    My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Tim F View Post
      What is the texture of the base like when it's fresh out of the oven vs when it's cold? I've been working on a similar recipe but found that the potato starch goes quite hard when it cools down, although I haven't tried exactly the ratio that you posted.

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Do you mean cold as in left overs? This pizza is virtually (seriously) indistinguishable from a real pizza dough recipe. Try it out, it's excellent. I'd recommend you do the "pre-cooking" stage in doors though in your oven, so you can control it more. After that it will be about 90% solid in a "crust" style form (like how you can buy pre-made crusts/shells from a grocery store) then just take it, add toppings and cook in your wood fired oven.

Comment

Cool, I'll give it a try!
        My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
        My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Thanks for posting this recipe - I have a family member with celiac disease and she can now eat pizza with the rest of us!

Comment

Hello all
            its funny that i came across this thread because my daughter is in senior year of college studying child psychology and is doing alot of research on diet for gluten free and caisen free diets. she has such a passion for this and has a website for healthy food and loves discussing gluten and other free type foods. if it will help here is her blogspot, feel free to ask her anything about this subject if you wish, oh yea lol tell her "pa" sent ya...La menu Chic
            Life is but a feather! Thus we get plucked one feather at a time!

Comment

Nice sharing

Pizza Recipes
              Last edited by JFthunder1; 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM.
              Pizza Recipes

Comment

Working...
              X