Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I mortared my first course on top of the hearth bricks.

I debated a bit about using the "indispensable tool" versus cutting a quarter-circle / arch to use as a form - and decided to give the indispensable tool a shot. I've seen so many variations of this thing - I thought I'd try to put together something simple - and very inexpensive.

So . . . I walked around HD a bit and let things find me. I ended up with a low-duty gate hinge, a piece of poplar, and a 90 degree Simpson StrongTie angle bracket. I wanted to use a gate hinge because I thought that I could construct the tool in such a way as to have a 21" radius at the bottom but reduce it to around 19 1/2 - 20" at the top. I'm amazed at how well this thing works. Took me around 10 minutes to build and cost a whopping $3.00 and change.

I tested it and ran it up and around the entry arch - and all of my dome bricks will contact the arch. So - my little Google SketchUp exercise really worked quite well (Arch Location (Locating the arch????))

Course 2 tonight . . .
Hi Cheesy

Does your IT hold the brick at the "just right" angle by itself, or did you use wedges to set the angle? Did you need to clamp the angle bracket to the brick as you applied the mortar?

Thanks

JT
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab49 View Post
Hi Cheesy

Does your IT hold the brick at the "just right" angle by itself, or did you use wedges to set the angle? Did you need to clamp the angle bracket to the brick as you applied the mortar?

Thanks

JT
JT - the IT held the bricks at the correct angle - but I did use shims to fill the gap between courses. I did not clamp the brick to the IT.

I would do a quick dry fit with the IT to get a rough idea of the size/thickness of the shims I would need. I buttered the brick (that was already set) and put a couple of firebrick shims in the mortar, and buttered the brick I was going to lay. My homebrew was pretty sticky - so the bricks held themselves in place pretty good. I set it with the IT, then tapped lightly with a rubber mallet as needed to set at the correct angle, then rechecked with the IT.

It's not a work of art - but it sure cooks a good pizza. Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Apprentice

Spring has sprung . . .

Fired up the oven and did a nice tri-tip roast and vegetables (with a bottle of '06 Hewitt Estate Cab) - and re-fired the next day for pizzas. Roof / pergola construction has begun - so I'm raising the chimney today to accommodate the nearby wood structure. The oven will be out of commission for a couple of weeks - then it's game on . . .

Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Apprentice

Well . . . it's been a while. Got the patio cover built early summer - and it's really a great addition to the yard. Got my outdoor ceiling fans, LED rope lighting, and outdoor chandelier all operable. It looks remarkable similar to my design . . .

We get it fired up every few weeks - it's working wonderfully. After using this for a while - the brick oven (in my opinion) is much better than my "old" precast. I really just enjoy cooking in it much more.

We've even hosted some fundraiser dinners for our high school sports booster club - our wood-fired pizza party is now an annual auction item for the sports booster club fundraiser. Great time!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.-patio1.jpg   Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.-patio2.jpg   Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.-party1.jpg  
brickie in oz and Laku like this.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 10-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Laborer

This really came out spectacular

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Master Builder

Cheesesteak,

DAMN, NO DOUBLE DAMN! That belong on some isolated paradise island or better yet, at my house.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

gt40 and Laurentius - thank you. It was (and is) a labor of love. I love to complain about the work it took to build (and occasionally about the work it takes to entertain 50 people for an evening) but I really do enjoy it.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Master Builder

Hi Mr Cheese,

The next time I'm stateside and in LaLa Land, may I drop by for some home cooking and to marvel at your creation? Please, please.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Apprentice

It looks awesome! Maybe I can use that as inspiration of finish mine up.

Is the color you chose for your stucco a standard color or did you custom mix it? It's THE color that I imagined to finish mine with. So it was good to see it being used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
It looks awesome! Maybe I can use that as inspiration of finish mine up.

Is the color you chose for your stucco a standard color or did you custom mix it? It's THE color that I imagined to finish mine with. So it was good to see it being used.
PI -

That color is an Omega color (9201 - Featherly) - available here: Colors and Textures

It has Akrotique applied over the color coat. Same color as my house. I've had several people stop and ask for the name of the color . . .

Laurentius - let me know when you're in town - I'd be happy to host you for a pizza.