Toggle Photo Gallery Navigation
Home

Toggle Hearth and Stand - 90% of second course done
Click to view original

Toggle Information
Posted By ogorir [Profile] [Photo Gallery]
Category Hearth and Stand
Title 90% of second course done
Description Despite the rain, I got all but one corner of the second course done last night. I should've started earlier, but it was 102 in Waco this afternoon and I was dead after work. I got back outside at 8:15 and spent 40 minutes cutting and fitting the two blocks above the keystone, then it started to rain. I finished at almost exactly midnight, which is why the corner isn't done... way too late to run that noisy saw and cut my last few bricks.

I'm going to stop and get a sheet of melamine tonight for the slab form and some more rebar, and if I can borrow a truck from work, I'll probably get the concrete tonight as well. I'm hoping to pour on saturday. I'm thinking at this point that I'm going to leave a 'well' in the center of my slab so I can add more insulation and still retain at least a 3" thickness. I played around last night with stacking up the 4th course over the arch, and assuming 12" of arch in front of the dome, I can reach about 1/2way into the oven from the ground (I'm pretty short @ 5'6") so I don't really want to go much higher than 44", hence the "well" in the center.
Original Filesize 552.3 KB
Original Dimensions 1296 x 968
Date Posted 09-05-2013 06:01 AM
Number Of Views 203