Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Laborer

Default WindKat Cowl

I have been searching around to decide what I am going to do for a chimney. My main consideration was to have it seal well at the base when it rains.

I was going to do a ss round flue with cowl with an outer flue so I can seal it at the outer flue base with heat resistant silicone..... but then I saw a cheap windkat cowl on ebay

Has anyone used a windkat flue on a wfo. I thought it might fit nicely on pompeii oven. Then I would do a brick outer chimney with an inner ss flue.

I will just need to think through how best to make rain proof.

Brett

Last edited by Mistertoy; 06-11-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: WindKat Cowl

Brett, I haven't used one of those cowls....I chimed in here to assure you there is no easy way (read short cut) to do this if you want some kind of permanence.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 AM
Laborer

Default Re: WindKat Cowl

Thanks Lee. All the work you have done compiling the links is really great. I used those links to work through my inner arch like GianniFocaccia, KarangiDude & Sharkley. I am really happy the way it worked out.

I have ordered the Windkat so will let you know how it goes. At the moment I am thinking it is going to be just as easy to do an enclosure as it would be to do a dome over the insulation and then do all the weather proofing of the dome.

Brett