Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Journeyman

Default the weather, ARGH!

So I've been planning this big, official WFO inauguration party for like a month. Pretty much everyone we know and most of my neighbors got invites, so it's BIG, as opposed to the 15 or 20 people we've done pizza with before full WFO completion. And because it's been an insane busy summer that is just now calming down, and because I get the most accomplished in the shortest amount of time when I am under a deadline, my plan was to get my enclosure finished up in the weeks preceeding the big party. That should have been absolutely NO problem. An easy day for the framing and another couple of days for the roofing and siding, and times two because everything always takes twice as long as I think it will...which still should have put me in the completely finished except for the mosaic tile work on the front (which will wait until spring) category.
To say the weather has NOT been cooperating with that plan would be an understatement. It's been either raining or snowing just about every day for the last three weeks. Hello weather? Have you forgotten it's only OCTOBER?!
I spent part of yesterday...sunny but freezing...getting the formwork built and set so I could pour my landing countertop today. But here's what I woke up to:

what you can't see is that it's pretty much a full blown blizzard out there.

Argh. A blizzard on October 12th? Really?

On the bright side, my ash rake worked great for getting the three inches of snow off my shadesail and I'm just back from the welding shop with a very nice new insulated door that I wasn't expecting to have for another week.

but sigh.
Minnesota weather. Whataya gonna do.
At this point I'll be thrilled if the weather straightens itself out enough to keep me from freezing my butt off (or getting snowed on) while I girl the oven and everyone else hangs out inside the house.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: the weather, ARGH!

I sympathize with you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Laborer

Look to your neighbour Canada where its Thanksgiving. Be thankful you didn't get a foot of snow

Sorry it messed up your party plans
I like the slop of your roof maybe you could ski off of it?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Laborer

Oh good lord......and I thought I was hard done by as I was concreting posts in last night in the half dark and it was bucketing down.
You poor thing, I don't know how you guys cope with the weather. Me thinks we are spoiled here in Australia.
Paul
Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Journeyman

working after dark in the rain. pretty much the story of my last three weeks, except ours was 40F. degree rain.
and yea, happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

so it did stop snowing long enough to get my countertop poured this afternoon, but the downside is the cold temp means it takes forever to be able to finish. babysitting concrete in the dark in winter and rigging tarps to try and keep it warm enough is something I REALLY don't miss. I tented it in with our gajillion watt shop lights for some heat but I could be in trouble if it gets much colder out.
We'll see. The forecast isn't getting any better, that's for sure.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Laborer

Ha, "Girl the oven!" That's great!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Where is James or one of the moderators? This is a PG rated forum, obscene language (the usage of the word SNOW) and graphic photographs (again, SNOW) are shameful, sinful, and strictly prohibited.

RT
Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/18/t...html#post67420 (***Thanksgiving Turkey***)

Hey SPlat..... Ive had to man up and Girl the oven a few times,, standing in the rain with a patio umbrella as everybody watched is the windows waiting for fresh hot pizza... On the bright side it wasnt cold and snowing.... Very impressive build.. You are a talented woman, Did you do it all yourself ???

P.S. did you see my turkey ?? came out great
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got snowed out of my oven last November- I think it was about the middle of the month- we NEVER get snow that early! I still remember how irritated I was about it, so I can sympathize.

Good thing is, if it's dry, it works really well even if you don't get it finished all the way for a while!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Journeyman

my apologies for the bad language! No more S word.

mark, your turkey looked AMAZING! I am definitely doing ours that way for Thanksgiving. Did the aluminium pan hold up OK? I think I would have been a little worried about putting that in the hothot WFO, but it musta been ok? did you do anything to the turkey ahead of time, like brine or anything?

re the build: mostly just me, yes. I usually try to recruit Boy for the stuff I REALLY don't want to or can't do by myself...yucky heavy stuff like loading/unloading/mixing mud, so he helped me with that for the foundation and hearth and then helped me put together the framing. (I'm with mfiore...I've been reminded how much I dislike carpentry). And his rock climbing skillz from days gone by got put to use up on the roof to seal and screw down the chimney flashing thingie in the dark. What a champ. (That silicone boot with the alum. flange=totally worth the $55). He's a typical helper...he'll do whatever I ask but tracking him down usually takes longer than just doing it myself...and I'm impatient. So my "we" project turned out to be about 80% the me part of we. But he paid so I guess I'll call it even
I think it'll look cool once it's completely trimmed and painted. I framed the upper part with the return so that I can put doors on to keep the weather off the forthcoming mosaic tile.