Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Serf

Default Vent roof?!?!

Hi All,

I'm wondering if the vent roof where it joins the flue needs to be constructed of fire brick/insulating concrete or can I use a section of sheet steel bent into the shape of the arch and attached to the brick arch with fire cement?

I think it will be OK or will there be issues with the steel expanding from the heat and then cracking the fire cement?

Thanks

Rob
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Vent roof?!?!

You can in fact make your entire entry/vent out of metal. They do expand at different rates, so you may want to make your masonry/metal joint somewhat flexible. Most people use some kind of masonry anchor and bolt as the interface, instead of a rigid mortar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Serf

Default Re: Vent roof?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
You can in fact make your entire entry/vent out of metal. They do expand at different rates, so you may want to make your masonry/metal joint somewhat flexible. Most people use some kind of masonry anchor and bolt as the interface, instead of a rigid mortar.

Great, that's just what I wanted to hear!