Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Laborer

Default Stucco mix question

I picked up masonry cement to be used for my stucco mix at Home Depot b/c I saw a sign that read "use masonry cement for stucco" there. After getting home, everything that I have read says to use a mix of portland cement, hydrated lime and sand--the mix varies based on the different layers, but portland cement is always a constant.

The two things that I like about the masonry cement is that 1) I have it and 2) it is lighter in color so will likely take the added cement color better. I have NO experience with stucco, so will using masonry cement give me as much strength and durability as portland cement?

Thanks for all suggestions!!

Claire
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Stucco mix question

Masonry cement is either a blend of portland/lime or a blend of portland and other ingredients that work like lime. It is fine to use to make stucco.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Laborer

Thanks--do you think I should then lessen the amount of lime used or just omit that from the mix completely?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by czaunb2 View Post
Thanks--do you think I should then lessen the amount of lime used or just omit that from the mix completely?
If you are talking about the type S mortar they sell at H.D. I think it is good right out of the bag. Lime is nasty stuff, avoid it if possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If I can jump on the stucco bandwagon, I have a question also...

I have about a 3/8 inch layer of stucco on our oven and walls (block). The mix is:

1 part white portland
1/4 part lime
4 parts masonry sand
Buff color from Lowes

I went ahead and colored the brown coat thinking that if in the future I had some peeling there would be color behind the finish coat.

It turns out that it was very time consuming to apply the stucco.
Can I just leave it the way it is with one coat?????

thanks,
Dave