Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Master Builder

Default Steel studs

I'm planning a walled enclosure for my WFO. I've been reading the threads about working with steel studs (no experience with them). The books and internet articles state that the steel studs (as everyone is using them, with standard framing techniques) are intended for interior, non load-bearing walls. The walls on a WFO support the roof. With cement board, and potential slate tiles, this roof might be rather heavy. Is this OK for the steel studs, or do I need to use a different technique (different gauge steel, different width, etc) for strength?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Steel studs

Have to remember we building on a small scale here. I hope. Small area, less load. Also they make two grades, light and structural which is OK in load bearing walls. You can use structural since you are looking to build a heavy roof.

I think you could also double up the light duty studs, more work, but if you have trouble getting structural it is an option. If you are going with blankets and loose insulation, like I did, then there is no reason you need cement board on the roof. Wood would be fine.

I used light on 12" centers. I also went with Tech Shield OSB roofing panel and shingles, so no major weight to worry about. Still standing after a 70 mph gust that split the top half of a Hackberry tree right next to it.

Correction: Gee, would think I would do a better job of proof reading before posting. Jay is right, I meant to say 16" centers.

Last edited by wlively; 05-08-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Mike!

I am toying with enclosing my "dome" oven to give it better weatherproofing and water protection and have been considering my options. I can't imagine any roof the size of what we are talking about to cover a WFO requiring any more than the light duty studs. And, to be honest, I can't imagine needing to put them on 12 inch centers. This is, as Wade suggested, a very small "building" and even a "heavy" roof will not really weigh very much.

My plan on mine will be to use a steel roof (to match my house) so I will probably use nothing inside the steel roof - just leave it open...but then my oven is already fully insulated...

Good luck. I look forward to hearing how your job goes!
Jay
Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Master Builder

Jay, Wade -

Thanks for the reply. I assumed it should be OK, if for no other reason than that's what others seem to be doing. Thought it better to double check.

Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Apprentice

Just use structural for the corners and as a beam to join the corners at the top. A lot of the Home Depots carry both types.

Mark
Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mike, how do you plan on fastening the track ("U" channel) to your concrete stand. Does this mount like any other base-plate? Will you pre-drill and install Red Tapcons? Or would a larger anchor bolt with epoxy drilled into the cement block stand be better?

Like you, I'm going to use light duty steel studs (easier to tin-snip) but put them closer together and try my hand at some horizontal straps or bracing. I've read that #8 self-tapping panhead screws should be used over #6 for more strength. Can't to see more construction pics of your oven! take care, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
Mike, how do you plan on fastening the track ("U" channel) to your concrete stand. Does this mount like any other base-plate? Will you pre-drill and install Red Tapcons?
That is exactly how I mounted my U-channel. We've had 70-80mph gusts in Louisville since my oven was completed. It's still here

Updated!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Master Builder

Glad you answered, Ken. I was not sure what to do yet.

Dino, I'm doing whatever anyone else did (did I mention I'm a follower, not a leader in this build)

What are red Tapcons. In the stores here, they are all blue.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think Tapcon's are blue. Maybe another brand is red?
The picture on Tapcon's home page is what I used:
Tapcon Concrete Screws- Stainless Steel Concrete Screws for fastening to concrete, brick and block

Updated!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Hey, Dino -
Do you live in a red Tapcon screw state, or a blue Tapcon screw state??