Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Peasant

Default Soot staining the dome.

Didnít see this coming. As you can see in the photoís, my flue cap is giving me grief in regards to the soot getting on the dome when it rains. The circular vertical wind guard is causing the problem. The rain washes off the soot from the guard onto the dome and stains the dome. Apart from the obvious fix of getting rid of the guard which Iíd prefer not to do, does any else have this problem or solution.

Regards,

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Soot staining the dome.-img_1827_1.jpg   Soot staining the dome.-img_1828_1.jpg   Soot staining the dome.-img_1829_1.jpg   Soot staining the dome.-img_1830_1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Soot staining the dome.

Short of a new cap, you could cover it with a garbage bag to keep it dry between uses.....

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
you might concider" bondall " sealer on the dome surface... it will stop the soot from penatrating the surface to deaply, and any on the surface washes off easily. No it doesn't gloss up the surface and doesn't change the colour... its clear

Regards dave

PS yes you can get it at Bunnings
Old 01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Journeyman

It wouldn't worry me, I can barely see it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You could make a shallow conical china hat that has a wider diameter than your existing cowl. It would prevent the rain from washing the soot off, but may be as much trouble to fit as replacing the whole thing with a new one. Like a new car, after the first scratch it's not new anymore and you just don't worry about it. That's why I like old cars, you never have to wash them or worry about preserving their newness.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Serf

Hi
I use a tin can of the required diameter over the exhaust on a diesel pump engine. Just re move when you light up. If I forget the diesel pelts it at me but I'm sorta trained now!

Dave Ly
Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Peasant

Hi guys,

This is one of the reasons I love this forum, people offer their ideas which spur me into thinking what I can do. Think Iíll try putting something over the flue cap first and see how that goes. Iíve tried a plastic bag over it while I was building it to keep the rain off but I use it too regularly now and is hot to warm a lot of the time and will just melt the plastic. I might try to cover it with a bit of gal Iíve got lying about. If that doesnít work then Iíll try using the Bondall sealer.

Thanks,

Mick
Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Apprentice

You can always paint/coat your oven dark grey or black. Mines black and looks great.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Peasant

Already mentioned that to the wife. I could not talk her into it. Believe me I tried.

Mick
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Apprentice

do a search for as many nice black colored ovens pics you can find and show her. If she sees how nice black looks she might reconsider. Another option is to stop cleaning it and it'll be an eye sore soon enough. If it looks ugly enough she might cave in and let you paint it.
If black is a definite NO then best you get rid of the current cowl and go Chinaman cowl instead.