Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Serf

Default Roof Design

I need a bit of help designing a roof for a 39 inch corner installation. The only styles I can seem to find are the shed style roof. Any suggestions to make it a little more visual appealing?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Roof Design

Where the heck are you directing runoff? Where the water goes impacts how you construct your roof when it's cornered like that - unless you will be using gutters. (Not sure how you could avoid gutters if you are even considering a shed style roof.)

Modified gambrel or maybe a variant of a monitor barn roof (bi-level). Or 'Tahiti' style w/o the thatch (think those little huts around the swimming pool trying to make it look tropical -should work in a corner and look pretty darn good).

If it will go with your decor, pagoda roofs are very visually interesting. Not what you'd expect on a oven since baking bread is relatively new to China (rice has next to no gluten so it had to be introduced) which could be a plus.

Depending on your carpentry skills, available materials and just how crazy you are, you could modify a shed to have an up arc like a pagoda only steep enough to redirect water. Really different - and potentially a real headache if you don't build it well, have a good way to manage the water or forget to clean up the leaves.

My all time favorite (<- note the dripping sarcasm) is the inverted A-frame. It's visually interesting, I'll give it that - and possibly the most useless roof design ever (unless you like having a waterfall off the end every time it rains). The one I have in mind was built 15 feet or so above the ground on an open structure that is only ten feet wide. Needless to say, you don't use it on a rainy day.

Just use your imagination - and good gutters!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]