Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Questions about weather sealing

Since it's too cold to work on the oven, I figured I'll solicit some advice from you guys about finishing the landing area, just outside of the vent.

When I finish the oven, I plan on either pouring concrete or using concrete board & tile to bring the front up, level with the vent landing.

I have a serious concern about water seeping in the crack between the vent landing bricks and my front landing area. The insulation board underneath the bricks must be kept absolutely dry.

I would like to seal this joint to eliminate water seepage; or, if water gets in, how to direct the flow of water away from the Kaowool board underneath the bricks. This area does not get very hot during fires.

I thought about shaping some flashing and sliding it about 2" under the landing bricks and bending it so water flows away from the insulation (pictured). The problem with this idea is that I don't know where the water will go. If the water is being directed away from someplace with flashing, it needs a planned destination; so I'm not sure if this is my answer.

Maybe just pouring concrete against the firebrick landing would be enough?

Another part of the plan is to fashion some sort of cover to protect the whole front of the oven from water when not in use.

I would sure appreciate any advice or thoughts!!

Finally, If you guys in the Southern Hemisphere have any surplus warm weather, we'd sure appreciate it if you would send it up here!
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about weather sealing-water_seep.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Questions about weather sealing

Good to hear from ya Ken!

How bout some Marine grade waterproof paint/epoxy?

I think that might solve your problem.

Here is a link to an online dealer.....they sell stuff for waterproofing basements, grain silos, etc. etc. etc.

Wet Basement Waterproofing, Foundation Finishing & Flooring, Swimming Pool Deck, Roof, Concrete Floor Coating & Crack Repair, Radon Gas Mitigation

I am pretty sure you could find something locally.
But this should be a good start.

Been doing any cooking?

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the link Dave. I'll take a look.
As for cooking; nope. It's been too darn cold to split wood and start a fire. It was in the single digits (F) all last week.

I'm patiently waiting for some spring weather to open the pool and get cracking again on the WFO!

Updated!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken,
I poured concrete flush against the vent floor bricks. I suppose water could potentially leak down between the two materials, but is seems like a really tight joint. Also, I put a slope on the landing so that any water hitting it would run off to the front vs. back into the oven.

I've also been thinking about a weather door with a perimeter gasket that could be pressed into the entryway to waterproof the entryway as much as possible.

George

-
Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, I agree with Dave. Why not a slab of granite? Shouldn't cost much? That would be added benefit.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To continue on Robert's thoughts, you could surround the ceramic board with concrete to take it out of the picture, place some v shaped groves on the top of the concrete that run from entryway to the front of the landing, then put in flashing so that the any water drains into the grooves and out the front, then finally finish with tile, granite, or whatever.

Get my drift?
G.

-
Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, I think I get your drift, George. I would have some small "weep" holes or drain holes in the front of the landing if I understand your idea.

I definitely like the idea of pouring concrete right up against the ceramic board and against the landing bricks. Maybe pour it halfway up the landing bricks to lock them in, then finish with concrete board and tile.

Robert, I do like your granite idea. I'm considering that as well. I don't think it would be too costly to have a piece cut to to shape. Wouldn't be very big.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Updated!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Journeyman

This is as I did.
Ceramic flat following the hearth of refractory bricks. Joint filled with a mixture of cement and refractory clay.
The landing area remanin covered by the chimney.
Never had any problems (well, the coldest days here, if some, are around the 15...ºC <g>)
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about weather sealing-hornofinalpintado032007-006.jpg   Questions about weather sealing-hornofinalpintado032007-007.jpg   Questions about weather sealing-firstpizzaparty080406-003-retrab.jpg  
Old 01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken,
You got my meaning exactly. I'm not sure its the best answer, but it will probably work. The main thing is to seal your ceramic board insulation and get the water to drain away from it.

You could also pour the concrete above the layer of the board and set the flashing at mid-pour (but above the level of the ceramic board) then place drainage groves laterally, against the flashing wall, that lead to each side of the landing. That may even be a better idea and more cosmetic.

-
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
You could also pour the concrete above the layer of the board and set the flashing at mid-pour (but above the level of the ceramic board) then place drainage groves laterally, against the flashing wall, that lead to each side of the landing. That may even be a better idea and more cosmetic.
Yeah! I like that idea.

Arevalo, thanks for posting the pics of your oven entry. They gave me some other ideas as well. I like how your took your tile under the arch a bit. That would be easy for me to do at this point.

Excellent ideas guys. Thanks!

Updated!