Old 12-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Polishing concrete

I've seen several ovens now where the landings/tables are finished with polished concrete. They look super. I like the idea of adding color, different stones, etc.

Is this something anyone can do or does it require special tools or skills?

Could you guys that have done this post a simple step-by-step for us to demystify the process?

What tools do I need? How much concrete is removed in the process (I assume I need to pour the concrete a little thicker than I need to achieve the correct level after smoothing/polishing)?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Polishing concrete

Thats funny, I just asked Neil2 and his flying saucer the same question. He polished his concrete.
fb66
Old 12-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullback66 View Post
Thats funny, I just asked Neil2 and his flying saucer the same question.
Beautiful, isn't it? I'm hoping it can be a low-cost, do-it-yourself alternative to granite.

Updated!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Journeyman

This site seems to have a fair amount of instruction on the topic, particularly under the "grinding" chapter.Concrete countertop FAQs - how to build concrete counters albeit a bit self promoting.

Last edited by jcg31; 12-10-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Apprentice

I might have to get that book. It looks like it might cost alot of money before you can even start. All the diamond pads. May be a little high in price to do one thing. If I did buy the stuff I would have to do some paying jobs to get some of the money back. It does look awesome.

What is the cost differance compared to granite?
fb66
Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Apprentice

jc did you use the Cheng products?

Couple other sites fullback:
Concrete countertops; reinforcing and concrete mixes - Decorative Concrete Concrete Construction - Find Articles
Build Your Own Concrete Countertops Part 1 from the Natural Handyman home repair and do it yourself website
Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Apprentice

Mojoe,
Thanks for the websites.
fb66
Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Apprentice

Diamond grinders and polishers are not as expensive as they used to be, in the $20 range. I got a new diamond cup wheel for a 7" grinder off e-bay for $1 and used it on my top. Not perfect, but because I used stones and sand left over from putting in my septic tank the whole top cost $10.
And I still have the wheel.
P.S. the stones were never in the septic tank!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Like most anything, shop around and you can save considerably over the cost of granite (if you do it yourself). The concrete guys locally are pricing concrete countertops just under low end granite. I would love to try it myself, I will need project, maybe an out table from my oven. Convicing my better have to the need will be the toughest part.

RT
Old 12-12-2007, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ed (and others),

What kind of grinders are you all using?

As I mentioned, the how-to articles all talk about fancy $400 multi-speed wet grinders. Is that what you all are using? If not, can you mention some makes & models so I can get an idea of what I'm shopping for?

What will it take to do a nice job? This is the only polished concrete work I foresee doing.

Thanks.

Updated!