Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Master Builder

Default Pavers for decorative arch?

I'm having a really hard time finding any "solid" burgundy-colored bricks to use for my decorative arch. They all have holes in them. Is there any reason I can't use clay pavers instead? They seem to be regular solid bricks by another name. I can't think of any way to use the "holey" bricks without having holes showing somewhere (at least with the design I have in mind).

Daren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pavers for decorative arch?

Daren,

The most common pavers are made from concrete. I would try and avoid it if possible - considering where you live it may be better to shop a bit more. Have you looked into turning the bricks on edge/end to hide the holes? I don't know what your plans are but many masons do this all the time.

Good luck!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Daren, here in SoCal I've seen a couple of brick/stone places that have the smaller 2"-3" "cobblestone" chunks that are meant to set in concrete or sand for driveways and walkways, usually in a arched or curved pattern. They have them in burgundy color. Unless I find something better, I plan on using them, doubled up, for my outer decorative arch and keystone. They are squarish, 2"+ square so that's why I'm putting them side by side for a roughly 5" wide, decorative outer arch. I guess they are made of concrete so Les' concern might be a factor. Good luck, can't wait to see the outcome.Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Apprentice

Arrow Re: Pavers for decorative arch?

Over here in South Australia, we a have a brick maker who sells heaps of 4" fired clay pavers for the construction of the entire oven dome and hearth.
Russel Jeavons used solid clay bricks for his domes (as he had supposedly built 5 dome ovens) and uses 2 layers of 2" fired clay pavers for his restaurant commercial oven hearth.
So long as they are foired at over 1000?C, you should not have a wory in the world.
Littlehampton bricks fire all their clay bricks and pavers at 1200?C.

Rastys

PS. Stay well away from conctete bricks or pavers.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 AM

"pavers" is the term of art in the brick industry for bricks without holes. If indeed they are fired clay bricks, which you should be able to tell at a glance, you should be good to go.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Master Builder

Cool, thanks everyone! I'll go with pavers then, making sure they're fired clay.