Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Peasant

Default Oven door design and paint fumes

Finally got around to start with my oven door.

A friend of mine got hold of some metal sheet about 1,5mm thick.

We started to cut out two pieces in the shape of the oven arch. One was so that it fits between the inside arch the other was slightly lager but small enough to fit between the outside arch.

The idea was to weld a sandwich construction and fill it with a fire blanket that I had left over from insulating the doom. I did however decide against the insulation as I am worried about getting the fibres from the insulation into the food.

In the end we kept the sandwich design but didn’t fill the gap with anything. The handles are made from metal rod with file handles at the end. We also attached a BBQ thermometer.

To finish it off, I am planning to spray it with a black oven spray that I bought in the local DIY shop. Although the paint is specified for high temperatures I wonder whether there are any fumes from the paint that might be health problem. Has anyone had problems with painted oven doors before?
Attached Thumbnails
Oven door design and paint fumes-cimg0775.jpg   Oven door design and paint fumes-cimg0779.jpg   Oven door design and paint fumes-cimg0781.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven door design and paint fumes

I used Krylon's High Heat BBQ & Stove paint for several projects (my WFO oven door, gas grill, etc). Never had a problem. Works great!

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My paint has peeled off a bit from the edges. The stuff was rated to 1300 degrees I think, so I doubt that heat was the source of the peeling. As far as the fumes, I don't believe they've affected me so far, but I could be wronggglsdlkfklsdlkfksllvnneielgnsfrokfr

-
Old 03-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
As far as the fumes, I don't believe they've affected me so far, but I could be wronggglsdlkfklsdlkfksllvnneielgnsfrokfr

Ah, well this would of course explain a great deal...

Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

George,

Your years of sniffing nitrous oxide likely killed a lot more brain cells then that paint!

Updated!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken,
Nasty rumors I tell you! I don't know how all those gas cylinders ended up in the trunk of my car!

-
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Peasant

Hmm maybe should not use the paint....

I am going to use the oven paint but only on the outside. It doesn’t really matter how the other side looks like. Should it go rusty it might add a bit of iron to the food which might even be good for you.

The paint I am going to use comes in a spray and is rated at 650 degree Celsius and from English company “Winther Browne”.

I’ll let you how I got on with it.

(next time I start a thread I also try to place in the correct section!)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Peasant

I have used the door the fist time last Saturday. It worked very well. The paint stayed on. The spray paint I used was bought in the local B&Q.

The sandwich construction seems to isolate better then I thought. The thermometer on the door still showed 80degC on Monday morning. This was after backing bred and having the door open for about 4 hours during Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven door design and paint fumes-img_4298.jpg  

Last edited by Jochen; 06-04-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Journeyman

perfect!!!

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 06-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Journeyman

CajunKnight...

Hope you're doing well...!

I just use the hi temp black spray for BBQ's that most are mentioning - haven't noticed any fumes.

Thanks
DIck