Old 07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Serf

Default OOPS! I didn't use a clay liner in my chimney

I wish I would have done a little more reading before I built my chimney! I built my chimney with red brick and the fireclay mortar (sand, lime, fireclay & portland cement). The chimney is 3' tall and the inside dimensions are 8 5/16" x 4 5/16" for a 36" oven. So it's too small to slip a 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" liner in unless I grind all the high spots inside the brick chimney and that may not be enough anyway. Is there something I can coat the inside of the chimney with to achieve the same affect as the clay liner?

Thanks,
Bruce.

Last edited by bruce324; 07-16-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Default liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce324
Is there something I can coat the inside of the chimney with to achieve the same affect as the clay liner?
You can coat the inside of the chimney with refractory cement, or the pricy fire-stop 50. Your next step depends on how elaborate your enclosure is: If you are building a minature palace of versailles to enclose your oven, you may want to take the time to back up now, and do it right. If you are going for something simple, or something you can get into later, you may want to use what you have, and see how it works.

By the way, the smallest refractory flue tile I know about is 8 x 8 inch square, inside dimensions. What's the source on the smaller one?
Old 07-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Liner

Bruce,

You might try finding 7 inch round flue tile that will give you almost as much area as 8 inch square. The 7 inch is lipped, so the pieces fit together snugly.

Jim
Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Serf

dmun

I believe I saw it on a website some where and they listed 8 1/2" x 4 1/2".

Thanks for all the input.
Bruce.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: OOPS! I didn't use a clay liner in my chimney

I think it might have been discussed somewhere else before, but has anyone used a regular terracotta sewer pipe in lieu of flue tile? Could it be temperes to withstand an oven's heat? I like that they are wigh feet long. Do flue tiles come in that length? I haven't been able to find one. I'm going to suspend the weight of the chimney from above, so something in one piece suits my needs. Got a while before I insall it, but I've been seeing teracotta sewer pipes all over the place lately. Funny how once you fixate on something it appears all over the place...
Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Journeyman

Hi Bruce,

you may find there is round stainless steel pipe for barbecues and the like - a big barbecue/heater place near me sells 1.2 m lengths of S/S flue with a 6in diameter for $A50.

That might solve your problem.

Cheers from Down-Under

Carioca
Old 01-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Laborer

What’s the problem with your chimney? If its working ok leave it alone if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Ok, in our modern ideal world we would build the chimney with a liner, its good sense and you get a good chimney. However, in the old days before liners they just built oven chimneys like you have and they worked fine.

Alf