Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Peasant

Default insulation up to chimney?

I was wondering if the insulation (vermiculite) can go up to the outside of the Duravent chimney? would it be best to box it in and leave a few inches around it or fill it?

thanks

D
Old 02-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: insulation up to chimney?

Dave,
The Duravent is already insulated. You can box it in and build a masonry chimney, its just personal preference, however, you could use cheaper chimney pipe than the double wall stainless if you are going to enclose it. The stainless is purpose built to be exposed and stay shiny and pretty.

Nice work on the anchor plate. I ended up going for the stainless chimney also since I couldn't find the clay chimney flue pipe here in SoCal.

Eric
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Peasant

Default Re: insulation up to chimney?

Thanks for answering, i realize the duravent is insulated, but was wondering if people run loose insulation right up to it or some code requires clearance for the vent pipe itself.

thanks on the plate, not as nicely done as some i have seen here, but since i am going to be enclosing and putting on a roof i am not too concerned with that.