Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Laborer

Default Insulation - top down or bottom up?

I have placed my blanket oven my dome and put the chicken wire in place. I have heard that the vermiculite concrete insulation is hard to apply and was wondering if i am better starting at the top and working down or start at the bottom and work up?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Jase
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation - top down or bottom up?

I wouldn't have been able to do it top down- I think you'll have to go bottom up. Just do it like a sand castle- wear gloves and pack it with your hands in layers going up. See my thread and you'll see the layers in the vermiculite!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Elizabeth is correct, I think it would be darned near impossible to go top down. It really doesn't like to stay in place; the chicken wire helps give it a bit of hold and working up gives you a base for each handful you slap on.

RT
Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jase,

I did my vermiculite insulation "bottom-up" with a slight variation to avoid troweling on that weird stuff.

I put some hardware cloth loosely around the dome (to provide added support for the vermic) then I built a crude form around the structure with foam board (from Office Depot) and duct tape. Then I poured the mixture in the form and gently tamped it down.

After a few days it set up very nicely. I did a couple of test fires and the board never got warm, so I left it there.

Here are the pics from my construction thread (My Old Kentucky Dome)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ditto - bottom up!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Laborer

Yep, bottom up is the only way to go. That is horrible stuff to try and keep in place. Got about 1/3 of it done last night and it seems to have dried ok this morning. I reckon that has got to be one of the least fun jobs of building a WFO?

Thanks guys.

Jase