Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Laborer

Default How to build the chimney transition???????

So I've spent about 4 hours today attempting to build my chimney transition and all I got done was to cut 6 bricks. The rest of the time has been spent staring at my oven trying to figure out what the hell to do. I seriously might go crazy soon.

I don't know if I built my arches wrong or what, but I never really saw any threads about vent opening size. One problem I can already see is that my anchor plate for my stainless steel pipe is 1" larger than my opening. My vent opening is about 6" x 12" and my Duravent pipe is 7"ID (9"OD). I can not figure out what to do. I have tried several different dry runs and I'm completely lost. Do I need to use a grinder and cut away part of my middle arch? I was hoping I could just build a raised platform and let my anchor plate sit on top, but again, I can't figure out how to do it. I am a foodie - not a builder!

Can someone please, please, please help me? I have posted some pictures of where I'm at and what I was thinking about doing.

1st pic is where I started this afternoon.

2nd pic is the cuts I made to work towards a level base for the anchor plate.

3rd pic shows what I was thinking about doing with creating a platform of sorts. I was going to create a square-shaped platform with wedges underneath. In this picture I only took it with bricks on the left and right.

4th pic is a just a birds eye view of the anchor plate sitting on the vent. You will see the overhang because of the 6" space and the 7"ID on the anchor plate.

Hopefully some of you guys will have recommendations that will be an easy fix...............
Attached Thumbnails
How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2703.jpg   How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2704.jpg   How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2706.jpg   How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2709.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to build the chimney transition???????

"The rest of the time has been spent staring at my oven trying to figure out what the hell to do."

This is what we all spent a lot of time doing when building our first oven.

It looks like you are on the right track though.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Laborer

Oh, I don't doubt that one bit. So I guess that means you're not gonna give me any advice?

When I say I'm stuck, I'm really stuck right now. Maybe it's because it's 93 degrees out today and I all I did was bake in the sun, but I'd really rather be baking pizzas than myself!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would build a support back over the inner arch and elevate it one brick to aid in the transition to the flue plate.

Chip
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The first thing I would do is buttress the arch. Then I would cut brick to bring it level to about the height of the top of the dome and then set the plate.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Laborer

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.

Chip, I do plan on putting some extra support towards the inner arch and dome as well as towards the front. I think I may have figured that out this afternoon and will post some pics to see if you guys think I did it right.

Tscarborough, I know what you mean by buttressing, but don't understand if there is right and wrong way to do it. Do those bricks that I cut to tie into the middle arch (2nd pic) need to somehow be specially cut to tie into the bricks that are buttressed, or can I just mortar those cut bricks to the buttressed bricks? The buttressing concept has been the hardest for me to grasp because most people have taken a lot of pictures only of the finished product, but not how it ties into each step of the process. I've gone as far as researching the topic in architecture, but it's a little different looking at used in some museum or church compared to a pizza oven!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Laborer

Hey guys, does this look good? By good I mean structurally and functionally. If it looks like crap, but still works, then so be it!

The good news is it seems to draw smoke very well in my first test fire today. If someone could explain the buttressing thing to me, it would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2718.jpg   How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2719.jpg   How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2721.jpg   How to build the chimney transition???????-img_2728.jpg  
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Buttressing?

I think what Tscarborough is saying is to put some support around your entry arch, like a picture frame. Just high enough to support the sides of the flu.

I located the front of my enclosure in the middle of my entry arch (see below). Using insulated fire bricks to buttress the arch, I used clay flu liners and put brick around that for the chimney.

Have you looked through the photo gallery for examples showing entry arches?

HTH

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 08-31-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a corner entry and plan to fill the area around the entry with perlite concrete. It is not strong in tear / shear strength but very good in compression so there would need to be a solid support backing up the mix. In my case I am doing a brick enclosure backed up with concrete blocks so nothing is going to move. The perlite mix acts as a gap filler between the vent arch and the outer brick wall and provides a great buttress.

One other item regarding the buttress of an arch, the buttress/support only needs to go up the sides of the arch a maximum distance of 2/3's of the way to the top of the arch. After that it is just producing additional top loading of the arch potentially putting more stress on the buttress.

Chip.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
One other item regarding the buttress of an arch, the buttress/support only needs to go up the sides of the arch a maximum distance of 2/3's of the way to the top of the arch
Hey Chip,

Is there a site or documentation that you can recommend I read to bone up on this? I've read through the vaulted structures pages on the Auroville Institute site, but haven't seen a site covering buttress dimensions.
Thx,
John