Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Heat properties of different dome colours?

I've noticed that the parts of my oven that are already covered in mosiac get a lot hotter a lot faster than the white bits... and it got me thinking...

Would there concievably be any advantage in a dark coloured dome?

Obviously the insulation also works from the outside in, and this would only be relevant for igloo ovens and only for sunny days...

But the heat in the dome does get outside even if only slowly, and I'm assuming it doesn't all get lost through the door. So if the heat working its way out through the insulation meets more heat coming in from the sunlight... would it make a difference?

What about using the oven as a cooler? You could chuck a whole lot of ice in there and a buch of beer bottles. Say for a big non-pizza party where you run out of space in the fridge...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Heat properties of different dome colours?

Not really any advantage to a dark colored dome if the inside of the oven is hotter than the outside. The heat will ALWAYS go from the higher temp to the lower one. Also, the heat absorbed from the outside would not be great enough to make it through the insulation.

In regards to the oven as a cooler, it may work marginally well, but you'd be better off just buying a cheap cooler from the store.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Heat properties of different dome colours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post

What about using the oven as a cooler? You could chuck a whole lot of ice in there and a buch of beer bottles. Say for a big non-pizza party where you run out of space in the fridge...

...but then you'd have to dry it out again
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Heat properties of different dome colours?

Frances,
are they getting hotter in the sunshine or getting their heat from the oven leaking heat?
All the tiles that you used would be the same colour throughout their thickness except for the top ceramic colour, so they should all be the same temp from the oven heat.
However, with the radiant sunshine heat, they will differ as a dark car will always absorb more energy, consequently get hotter from the sun than a white or light coloured car.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway