Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Serf

Default Hardibacker Chimney Flashing Question

Hi,

This is probably a stupid quesion, but, I'll ask it anyway. My chimney is enclosed in a metal stud hardibacker chase. It goes up through the roof decking which is complete. No material has been used to cover the decking. I'll probably go with a metal roof. By the way, I have insuslation and concrete board between the 3/4" decking.

My question is: Does the flashing go on before or after the stucco or surface bonding cement? I'll try to attach a picture or two?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Hardibacker Chimney Flashing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCANCILLA View Post
Hi,

My question is: Does the flashing go on before or after the stucco or surface bonding cement? I'll try to attach a picture or two?
I don't think you will have much luck getting any type of water tight seal if you flash before the stucco...the stucco will not stick very well to the flashing...I would recommend using a polyurethane sealer such as Vulkem after you stucco
All the best!
Dutch
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Serf

Dutch,

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get the vulkem? I can't seem to find it at lowes or Home Depot locally.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Master Builder

We got the Vulkem through our local glass guy...we are quite friendly with him...that is where I would suggest to start...in any event if they don't sell you some they should certainly know where you could buy it...it is really great stuff...
Best
Dutch