Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Apprentice

Default Good News, Bad News

The Good - No frost heave this winter. The dome is still strong and perfectly together. No major cracks and its ready to be fired.

The Bad - My entire stucco job on the outside block walls totally came off due to moisture. Take a look:

I chipped the perlcrete back to the dome to reveal the hearth slab and chipped off the remaining stucco on the walls. I am thinking the horizontal surface caught the water and funneled it down the perlcrete layer, then went between the stucco.

I am thinking of building up the flat areas and sloping away from the hearth perlcrete based.

Looking for any insight into sealing the block walls. What can I put on these walls so I know it won't come off?

Timo
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Good News, Bad News

What kind of stucco did you use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Apprentice

It was mixed at home. Looking back I probably didn't put enough sand in the mix. I used the 1/2 portland 1/2 lime masonry mortar and sand. I used acrylic additive and reinforced mortar for the dome and it weathered pretty well. Would it help to put something onto the block for the mortar to stick to something?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Apprentice

i'd take an angle grinder with a diamond blade and cut some horizontal grooves into the slab.
The grooves will give something the stucco to bite into.