Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Frances' chimney cap

You may remember my first effort at making a chimney cap... it turned out to be far too heavy and is now waiting to be finished and turned into the top part of a large garden sculpture.
Attached Thumbnails
Frances' chimney cap-1st-pizza-001.jpg   Frances' chimney cap-chimney1-002.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Frances' chimney cap

So now for my second and improved version.

Its basically another metal mesh frame, filled with vermcrete and covered with a thin layer of mortar/render stuff.

So far so good, not too heavy and lopsided as usual... now has anybody got any good ideas for what colour to make it? Wiley?

I'd kind of like a shiny golden roof (like those russian tulip shaped ones) but apparently its a real bugger to get anything but gold to look like gold and I don't fancy applying a fresh layer of gold leaf each year...

Bright red? More blue and yellow swirls? Hmm, how about all transparent glass and mirrors and stuff so it glitters in the sunlight? What do all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Frances' chimney cap-chimney1-004.jpg   Frances' chimney cap-advent08-012.jpg   Frances' chimney cap-chimneycap-001.jpg   Frances' chimney cap-chimneycap-013.jpg  

Last edited by Frances; 12-15-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Bright red? More blue and yellow swirls? Hmm, how about all transparent glass and mirrors and stuff so it glitters in the sunlight? What do all think?
Well... she almost said it.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, there's already a nice TWIRLY BIT on the top... its a start, isn't it?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Journeyman

Frances, you just make my day!

Kinda feels like your weather today. 10F at this moment. Brrr.
Just checked google. You are a balmy 33F.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

more twirly bits please...errrrr swirls
Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Master Builder

Well, Frances since you asked by name:

My thoughts would run to dark blue tending to black at the top with silver or gold metalized glass tiles interspersed amongst the dark "field" (my mind fails me at this moment as to their proper name, I mean the same glass blebs as the rounded glass mosaics you used on the body of your oven. I'm sure you have seen them in metallic)

The dark blue (same as top of chimney) tending to black represents the night sky the metalic blebs are the stars. No mater what colors you select soot will perhaps be a problem so by going dark it should be less noticable.

I like your choice of shape; it should contain most soot to the bottom making it less likely that rain will cause it to drip upon the rest of the structure.

Just my two cents,
Wiley
Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you Wiley, I really like the idea of stars. Maybe with a dark blue and purple background...
Well, lots of time to ponder about it while the mortar cures.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Master Builder

When can I place my order? I think it would be perfect for my oven!

Christo

Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Journeyman

"...Starry, starry night.
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
Swirling clouds in violet haze,
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue.
Colors changing hue, morning field of amber grain,
Weathered faces lined in pain,
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand..."
Don McClean

Is it possible that our own Frances is channeling Vincent?

(Will somebody over in her neck of the woods check to see if she still has both ears?)