Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Peasant

Default Framing nearly complete

The frame is nearly complete. I still have to put up a few more braces in the rafters. Next is the wiring and the Hardiboard. I should have it water tight this weekend. I've never framed before, so it was a learning experience. The pitch is a 7/12 to match the house. Cutting the rafters wasn't to bad after I figured out how to use the speed square. I cut 14 rafters in a little over an hour.

The second picture shows what happens when you use a power driver on perlcrete. It was a small piece so I just used some liquid nails and 3 in screws. Its not going anywhere.

Third picture shows where I cut out the perlcrete with a 6 inch putty knife and a hammer. Pretty easy. I then attached the track with liquid nails and the power driver. We sometimes get high winds down the front range (+ 60 mph) so I wanted to make sure all was secure.

The last picture shows the detail of the Carolina Pit BBQ smoke stack tie in to the chimney. The pit wil have to wait until next spring, We already had our first snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing Nearly Complete-image00006.jpg   Framing Nearly Complete-image00003.jpg   Framing Nearly Complete-image00004.jpg   Framing Nearly Complete-image00005.jpg  
Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Framing nearly complete

Way to go KC -- looking good. We've been framing in windows and doors, and putting in some decorative arches between rooms. I think there is something fulfilling about it. It has a high reward to effort ratio, where you can really see the fruit of your effort.

What type of roof are you going to do?

Last item, I am moving this to Design and Finish. You're there.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Framing Nearly Complete

Thanks James, we are leaning toward a Tuscan theme. Red clay tiles are at the top of the list.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

KC,
We're doing the same design here. We just picked a Mediterranean roof tile (and our roofing contractor).

Photos to come -- a while to go for that. Do you have a roof tile picked out?
James

Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

KC,

Thanks for the pit BBQ vent explanation - it was starting to look like something NASA would build Great work, and it's a bummer about the snow - it's just a matter of time here.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Journeyman

Looks great..for some reason I just love the look of something framed with steel studs..maybe its because I grew up near Pittsburgh..na then again there is nothing like the smell of lumber being cut. But yet again trying to find a straight piece of wood is quite a chore. I usually spend the price difference of steel in labor culling through the lumber pile..
By the way what is that black stuff on the NASA BBQ vent?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Peasant

I haven't found the tiles yet, any suggestions?

The black stuff is made by DAP and it is high temp morter for fireplaces. It said on the tube it is for repointing fire bricks and fireplaces. I put it on the seams to make sure I have a good seal. $3 insurance.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

KC,
We found two alternatives. One is US Clay Tile, which makes U and S shaped Spanish style tiles. These are widely available and reliable, but look a little bit modern. The other is to find an importer of Mexican-made tiles. We found an importer in Monterey and a roofer, both of whom have access to these tiles. They look more rustic and handmade.

At this point we are working on getting a re-roofing permit on the Mexican tile, and hopefully it will come through. The installed look is more old-world.

James

Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Peasant

Thanks James, I'll check on the Mexican tile.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I'll post a photo and the product name later.
James