Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Laborer

Default flue size to 8 inch round

Building a 42" Pompeii and now planning my vent area. I recall on my last oven I think it was a 14 inch by 4 1\2" rectangular opening transitioning to the 6" in pipe on my smaller oven. Now with this bigger oven I am dealing with an 8 inch pipe and wondering what the recomended size of the lower rectangular opening should be before it transitions up to the 8 inch internal pipe? I was thinking the same size as my 36 inch oven as the door opening is the same size and just smooth it from the 14 x 4.5" rectangle to the 8 inch round.

Is this ok or is there a better choice for the size on the rectangle part of the flue at the oven entrance?

Thanks Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
flue size to 8 inch round-stack-layout.jpg  
Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: flue size to 8 inch round

I've had a couple of glasses of wine and used a cheap calculator (doesn't have pi). It looks like the volume is good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Laborer

Default Re: flue size to 8 inch round

Thanks Les

I hope those were small glasses of Wine and I hope they were delicious!

I will go with the 14"x4 1/2" transition to the 8 inch circle. Appreciate it!

Should you sober up before I head to the job site tomorrow morning and you change your mind feel free to set me straight.
Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: flue size to 8 inch round

I'd make the transition as large as practical Wayne, to ensure at start up that all the smoke is captured and directed up into the 8" flue.
My oven is a 40"Pompeii and has a large chimney void which works exceptionally well. Pictures are on my build posting.
However, the deeper you make it, the further you will need to reach into the oven.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway