Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Master Builder

Default Flue has trouble drawing when it's windy.

Only when it's windy do I have trouble at start-up of the flue won't draw. Anybody have a wind-proof flue cap?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Flue has trouble drawing when it's windy.

Hi Iwood,

I have a supposed wind proof flue cap which is a circular piece of aluminium surrounding the flue cap. I have no doubt that it does prevent some wind from going down the flue. From what I have observed in my oven on windy days is that the wind blows into the oven chamber and disrupts the air flow which allows some smoke to escape out the front. As you said, it happens on windy days mainly on start up. I think due to the fact that on start up there may not be enough heat to have a strong enough draw to fight the gusts of wind that may blow in. Once the fire is roaring though, thereís not much stopping it.

Cheers,

Mick
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Flue has trouble drawing when it's windy.

Never experienced that with my flue and flue chamber which is larger than normal
My first thought when reading your post was that your flue is too small, probabl6 6" I guess and the chamber thsat catches the smoke and funnels it into the flue is also too small and not performing as it should.
The only time I have ever had smoke coming out of the front arch was when I was using a leaf blower on full chat to get the fire going with greener wood. Normally if rces the smoke and hot gasses directly up the 12 foot flue.

Cheers

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had the same problem yesterday, we had some horrible wind blowing from all directions and start up was a bit of a problem but once going it was ok.

I did notice that there was less of a problem when I had the blast door on and the damper slightly closed to block off part of the flue.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Master Builder

Wind can't blow into the oven because the oven is partially enclosed and protected. I have an 8" flue and the gases are water-falling down the flue. This occurs mainly at start-up but strong winds can cause the problem, during regular operation, to a lesser degree. Maybe I will just have to live with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Wind can't blow into the oven because the oven is partially enclosed and protected.
Can it blow down the flue though?
Have you got a pic of the top of the flue?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-11-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Master Builder

Yes, it can blow down the flue. All I have on top of the flue is a conical lid with about 2 3 inches btw the lid and the pipe. No pic
Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Yes, it can blow down the flue. All I have on top of the flue is a conical lid with about 2 3 inches btw the lid and the pipe. No pic
A pic would tell if there was any obstruction near by that was causing down drafts when windy.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Is this your flue?
From your facebook page.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Master Builder

Ha Ha Brickie...good eye. No that's not my oven flue, it's my fireplace flue and it is way too short, have to lengthen it cause it does the same thing. My oven flue is much taller (3m) and round, but has the same type of cap.