Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Serf

Default Fine Treated Perlite

Hi All,

For my 50mm outer layer (after blanket) a local company here in Melbourne has recommended 'FINE TREATED PERLITE' with a 1 - 2mm particle size for the Perlicrete coating. I am unsure as i have read elsewhere that a MEDIUM grade is better? What do the experts think?

The dome is ready, covered in blanket and chicken wire, I will be mixing at 10:1 Perlite: Portland Cement. Also, i have some refractory cement left over, could i use this up for the Perlicrete?

How far does a 100lt of Perlite go?

Thanks and regards...
Phil
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fine Treated Perlite

There is a product used in the building industry that treats perlite with silicon which prevents water being absorbed into the perlite grains. Not sure if this is what your product is, but I would like to use it if it's available as the water absorbency is a problem, or getting rid of the water is at least. Most of the perlite and vermiculite used is for agricultural use and the grains ability to hold water is a desirable quality. I've never come across the silicon treated stuff in Australia, but believe it would suit our purposes better. Perlite tends to have a lot of fine dust which is quite irritating to breathe whereas vermiculite is less of a problem in this regard. The small grain size means that you will require more water when mixing rather than the larger grains. You don't say how big your oven is but you can work out the volume and add around 20% because you will lose some volume on mixing.

Last edited by david s; 09-23-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Laborer

Why not just buy silicone waterproofing liquid and work that through the perlite
Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomulla View Post
Why not just buy silicone waterproofing liquid and work that through the perlite
That could well work. I haven't pursued that idea because I figured you'd need a lot of it and in a small batch would be not economic. Try it and report back.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Serf

Thanks all, I have purchased the silicon coated perlite (from Exfoiliators, Melbourne) and will let you know how it goes.

Phil
Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Peasant

why not put a layer of ordinary mortar over the insulating layer? Mortar has some degree of water resistance, or you could paint it or treat it with silicon sealer....
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaker View Post
Mortar has some degree of water resistance
Not in the real world it hasnt, its like a sponge and sucks up moisture readily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Serf

Ok.... Yesterday I made a few batches of the perlicrete (10:3:1 perlite, Water, Portland) and managed to get it onto the dome around 2" thick, this morning it has firmed up but still appears quite crumbly, is this normal? What should the dry perlicrete be like? Will it get harder still over time or is crumbly normal?

Thanks
Phil
Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Phil,
The stuff only needs to strong enough for you to render over. Making it stronger by adding more cement just decreases its insulation capacity. Give it around a week to dry then start some fires (read the curing thread) After all the water has been driven out you can do the top render coating.Because you have the treated perlite you should not need to use so much water in the mix. I would guess 10:1.5:1 would be adequate, because the perlite grains are not sucking up the excess water.

Last edited by david s; 09-27-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Serf

Hopefully the final question, then its all over....

After some searching i am planning to use this product as the sealer/waterproofer over the final render coat;

Brick & Render Sealer: Sealers: Crommelin
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is there a better way?

Cooked 7 loaves and 2 steaks on the weekend!

Phil