Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Laborer

Default Exposed Hardiebacker

I will soon have my 1/2" Hardiebacker completely up and the metal roof installed. If I am unable to get my brick and stone work done, winter is closing in fast, can I leave the cement board exposed or still tarp when I am not using the oven? Joints will be taped and finished with polymer modified thinset mortar. I was thinking of rolling on Redgard but some sites say not to leave that product exposed to the elements.

Thanks,

David

I also thought about stapling some 30lb roofing felt on the walls and removing it in the spring.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Exposed Hardiebacker

Hardiebacker should be OK, I would not leave concrete board exposed though.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Journeyman

Although the Hardibacker won't be damaged by water, you might need to spend extra time this spring cleaning it prior to application of the thinset for the stonework. I'd put a tarp over it just to keep it a bit cleaner...you don't want the thinset peeling up as you apply it because of too much dirt or dust accumulated over the winter.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 AM
Laborer

Thanks, Tscar.

Thanks, Mike.

If I do need to clean the hardiebacker in the spring could I used TSP like before painting or should I use a different product?

Thanks,

David
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Journeyman

My understanding is that the thinset needs a clean, dust free Hardibacker surface to "get a grip". I would think TSP will work well, I'd just be sure to give the cleaned surface a good water rinse to make sure there are no TSP phosphate residues left before you start spreading thinset.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.